Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick little axie

happycamper

Reaction score
I am pretty sure my new axolotl is in bad shape. It looks like this section gets a lot more traffic, so am posting again here. Hope that's not bad :confused:

Anyhow, I received my axolotl on Tuesday. He arrived with 2 missing feet, his tail is slightly curved and his gills are facing forward. He took a piece of worm on the first night but quickly spit it back out. He hasn't shown interest in food since. :(

On the other thread someone pointed out that his jaw looked swollen.

I am very concerned about the little guy! He is 2.5 inches long. In a 29 gallon tank with lots of hides, and perfect water conditions. The water temp is at 62, should I try to lower it? Is this serious enough to consider "fridging" him?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• shtuff 071.jpg
    shtuff 071.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 241
  • shtuff 038.jpg
    shtuff 038.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 231
  • shtuff 048.jpg
    shtuff 048.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 227

nzgirl87

Reaction score
Could it possibly have something stuck in its mouth? ive heard it can happen, i am kind of new also but getting use to the ins and outs of them now poor we thing! at least its in caring hands now

lea

Reaction score
do you know what substrate he was on before he came to live with you???

lea

Reaction score
I have never raised little ones like yours but im sure i have read that you can put them in the fridge when they are young. Can you see in his/her mouth??? Im sorry i cant be of more help but Im sure someone with more knowledge than me will be able to offer some advise soon. I hope your little one gets better soon.
lea

melfly

Reaction score
Hi
Can you try and look in his mouth, I agree with lea it looks like there may be something lodged in there.

It would be fine to fridge him if you wanted to, I personally wouldn't just yet, as you need him to eat.

Can you get hold of some live bloodworms? They like wriggly things and they would be easy for him to digest as they are smaller than earthworm.

Mel

daremo

Reaction score
I think a vet could help you open his mouth and check if there is something stuck in there...

mroli123

Reaction score
It does have an odd shaped head/jaw, maybe its something genetic?

I have had two of a similar size, at first I didn't think that they were eating so I left some live bloodworms in with them (I have mine in a much smaller tub rather than tank as it is much easier to manage them) and within an hour they had all been eaten

And if it has been moved could it be stressed and just take some time to adapt?

happycamper

Reaction score
How would I try to see in his mouth? He seams so fragile, I would be really scared. I have a friend who is a vet tech, so I could have her help me. I would be afraid I would cause more damage :(

I decided the 29 gallon was a bit much. He looked so teeny tiny in that huge aquarium, so I transferred him to a 10 gallon filled a little over half way.

I am going to shop around after work today and see what kind of worms I can find. He responded to a bit of earthworm again last night, but he kinda looses control when he tries to eat. It's like he can't control his little body very well...

I am hoping with the small tank and new food options tonight I will get him to eat. I hope I hope I hope! He's gotta be hungry! How long can they go without eating?

daremo

Reaction score
He probably needs to get used to earthworms, but as long as he eats one he'll notice they'll love them :)

just chop them into little pieces so it's easier for him to eat them, in a few weeks you can give him bigger pieces of worms

I would try with earthworms and see if he eats them well

happycamper

Reaction score
I think the earthworms were just too thick, no matter how small I cut them.

He ate bloodworms and brineshrimp last night!! Hopefully he will continue eating, but I have hope for the little guy now. Yay!

melfly

Reaction score
Yay!
I thought the bloodworm would get him eating.

Well done.

Does his mouth still look swollen?

Mel

daremo

Reaction score
great news! :)

you can try red wrigglers, they're thinner than "regular" earthworms

happycamper

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I was so happy!

I called around and I can't seem to find any other worm options at my local pet shops, but I will keep my eye out.

Hard for me to say if it looks swollen, this is my first experience with axolotls.I'll explore the galleries on here and compare when I get home. I will take a picture of him tonight, and try to get it posted.

He seems slightly more active, but still pretty lethargic. Then again I don't really know what normal is :rolleyes:

Thanks again guys, this is a great forum!

happycamper

Reaction score
Update!

So he has been eating more and more every time I feed him, which is giving me hope that his strength is on the upswing. He floated around one day, but after reading up on floating I decided to see if he just had gas. Lol... I took him out of his container and he burped! It was kinda funny! Everything has been normal since then.

His feet are starting to regenerate, his gills aren't facing forward anymore, and his tail seems to slowly be straightening out! I feel like he just might be outta the woods! It looks like he is growing a little every day, it's amazing.

Thanks for everyone's help getting my little guy healthy again! :happy:

melfly

Reaction score
Thats brilliant
Can you post some new pics? I'd like another look at his jaw.

Mel

happycamper

Reaction score
Here are some recent pics. The white dots on him are sand. In one of the pictures his jaw looks more swollen than others, I think he might just be swallowing or something though?

He still isn't looking as good as some axies I see on this site, But compared to when I got him he looks a lot better.

Attachments

• aquarium and atuff 114.jpg
    aquarium and atuff 114.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 203
  • aquarium and atuff 117.jpg
    aquarium and atuff 117.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 198
  • aquarium and atuff 119.jpg
    aquarium and atuff 119.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 206
  • aquarium and atuff 104.jpg
    aquarium and atuff 104.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 180
  • aquarium and atuff 108.jpg
    aquarium and atuff 108.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 225

daremo

Reaction score
he's so cute, such nice gills!!

for the pictures I don't see anything wrong with his jaw in the pictures

he looks much better I think

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1