Aquatic Bins

Roney

Reaction score
Country
United States
I currently have two tiger Salamanders and they are housed in separate plastic bins, i was curious has anyone housed fully aquatic newts or salamanders in bins? and would this be acceptable for two Larval tiger salamanders which I'm hoping to purchase eventually.

Yeah. I guess you could but you need a secure cover, a filter, etc.

If you are going to use bins, try and find polyethylene or some other food grade plastic. I would be a bit wary of cheaper bins that were not food grade leaching chemicals into the water. Still can't beat glass, no matter how you slice it. ;)

I want to use a regular aquarium but they are so pricey that i was looking for an alternative. do you thing acrylic bins would be better than regular plastic bin.

Not sure how acrylic bins would work, but I see them used all of the time in food applications so you would think they would, BUT I am not sure how they are bonded together. Usually plastic bins are made from molds cast as one piece, acrylics are usually glued. Now I'm not sure that glue is safe, but what you might be able to do is put a bead of aquarium sealant on the inside of the joins and let that cure and that may give you a barrier as to any glue or epoxy contaminating your water. Just make sure you use AQUARIUM GRADE silicon. Not all silicons are suitable. Also the water pressure within the acrylic bin may be too much and bow out the acrylic causing a collapse. Just make sure you use a thick acrylic bin to help offset the weight differential. 1 gallon of water = 8 pounds. Good luck! ;)

I use plastic containers to house alot of my collection, mainly the smaller pleth species and young salamanders. They are an absolute blessing!!!

I have always used plastic container , mainly for housing larvae or small morph with no problem , esthetically they are not so nice but they are light , easy to clean and easy to move, they are also quite cheap wich is great when you have a big number of animals

Thank you all for the information I am trying to persuade my mom into getting me a 30 gallon tank so i can keep the larval tiger salamanders in until they morph; I was was also thinking maybe just getting axotol but I really love tiger sals and I wanted to see them morph on their own, but they are hard to find except in bait shops which personally I find to be outrageous.

I used a 30 gal rubbermaid for my axolotls when they were younger. Works great, super-cheap.

Are you in range for any tiger salamanders? You can always collect a few small larvae from a pond. If you're responsible about collecting, only taking a few, and only taking small larvae, you won't have any impact on the population.

The few ponds in my area that have them are protected by the state because the population is so low.

Judging from your post on this thread, I assume you are aware that tiger salamanders are illegal to keep in New Jersey. If your local authorities find out, the animals could be confiscated and destroyed. I HIGHLY suggest you either return the animals from where you got them, or give them away to someone who can legally keep them.

Thank you for the information thats what I was afraid could happen im going to contact the DNR in my area and see if there is a way i can receive some type of permit to keep them or some way around it because id rather not give them up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back