The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 15th November 2010   #1
Littlefish

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Littlefish has started on the right path
Default Proper newt ID, please

Hello:

I am a fish guy; ...or I was until about five months ago when I bought a couple of ...newts at a LPS. The LPS manager told me not only that they get very well along but also that they were fully aquatic. However, one of them died a couple of weeks after (tail bitten by the other one). The survivor has scaped my 55-G aquarium in couple of ocassions already.

They were selling them under the name tag as "Giant Rock Newts", and that's where the problem began (for me) as I have not been able to find any reliable source referring to these creatures by this name.

I pretend to upload some pictures of my newt for your kindness helping me to properly identy it. Please excuse the quality of my pictures as I am also new to the "aquatic" pictures now.

The newt is a 5" male, and has not noticeable grown since bought five months ago.

Should you need further pictures of specifics parts or positions, please feel free to ask me. I will always try my best to shot them properly.

I thank you all in advance for your time and help.

GP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5552.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	13023   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5574.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	13024   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5561.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	13025   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5571.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	13026   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5551.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	13027  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5600.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	13028  

Littlefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010   #2
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Proper newt ID, please

It is a Paramesotriton, most likely P.chinensis.
The pet shop gave you bad advice, typical...They can be very territorial and agressive sometimes.
Make absolutely sure to have a completely secure lid!!!!!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010   #3
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

You are lucky that the escapee isn't dead. See
Caudata Culture Articles - Escape

I agree, it is a warty newt (Paramesotriton).

Old 22nd November 2010   #4
Littlefish

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Littlefish has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhael View Post
It is a Paramesotriton, most likely P.chinensis.
The pet shop gave you bad advice, typical...They can be very territorial and agressive sometimes.
Make absolutely sure to have a completely secure lid!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennewt View Post
You are lucky that the escapee isn't dead. See
Caudata Culture Articles - Escape

I agree, it is a warty newt (Paramesotriton).
Hello Azhael and Jennewt:

Thank you very much for your input. The lids are kept closed down all the time now; the only opening where the heater and filter cables get in is now plugged with a sponge.

I have now done my research (or part of it anyway); I have read and read a lot by now (one of the reasons it took me so long to say thanks). But the more I read, ...the more confused I get! (just kidding). It is a HUGE world (totally unknown to me until now). I am still not sure if mine is a P. chinensis or a hongkongensis, but definitively not a Cynops, and overall I respect your conclusion (thank you both again).

Just expect a few more questions coming down along the time. So, please be patient as I will read before asking but I might still try to get a "short cut" (from you folks) from time to time.

Thanks!

GP

Littlefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010   #5
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Im pretty sure that it is chinensis because of the yellow spots along the sides, which are characteristic of the species, but certainly Paramesotriton can be a tricky genus.

Im glad you blocked the lid, one can never be too careful whith caudates, they are amazingly good at scaping when they want to.

Reading before asking, ah, thats music to my ears xDD Feel free to ask any doubts you are left with. Sadly we dont have a caresheet for this genus, yet, so the information is scattered around the forums, but using the search function should make things easy for you.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
identification, newt