Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: New Axie Tank

Yaimfat

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently set up a new, four foot axolotl tank for my two axies... It is currently cycling and is nearly ready for the addition of live stock. I intend for it to sit at 18 degrees celcius and house 3 axolotls, 10 white cloude minnows, many cherry shrimp and a mussel, however these will be added after the axies and a quarantine period... My set-up includes a 4ft, 190L tank, an Eheim 2213 Classic external canister filter, a 40W fleurescent light, 2 air stones and a 300W heater. I tried my hand at a slightly aquascaped layout and am very pleased with the results. All that is left to do is finish the cycle, set up an evaporation sump to keep the temp down in summer and add some high grade carbon to the filter to remove the waters slight discolourment. One thing i was wondering was what is the preferred GH and KH for axolotls?

Anyway, hope everyone likes the tank!

Attachments

• IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_0182.jpg
    IMG_0182.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 338

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Get rid of the heater, you'll never need it. How big are your axies? Some of those rocks look like an impaction risk. I'd also recommend adding a few more hides.

Yaimfat

Reaction score
The heater is only so the plants won't die, and when the evaporation sump is set up I will need it... There are two hides left to add (they are in their current tank) and I'm in the process of constructing a java moss platform/ shelter... The rocks are no issue, I have kept them with these stones and other smaller ones which were a genuine risk before, these are ok... Thank you for the advice

morphyrichards

Reaction score
The heater is only so the plants won't die, and when the evaporation sump is set up I will need it... There are two hides left to add (they are in their current tank) and I'm in the process of constructing a java moss platform/ shelter... The rocks are no issue, I have kept them with these stones and other smaller ones which were a genuine risk before, these are ok... Thank you for the advice

It looks really nice but I agree the rocks at least appear to be a little on the too-small size and the gravel looks a little on the too-large size to me as well. Is it an optical illusion and everything is different sizes than it appears to be? Are any of those rocks smaller than your axolotl's head? What water temperature are you maintaining in there?

Yaimfat

Reaction score
Hi, some are but I assure you they won't be swallowed, there will be very few bare patches as it is... The tank is currently at 24 degrees celcius to help the plants take root and speed the development of the biofilter, though like I said it will be ata comfortable 18 at all times for the axies, I would make it 16 but I fear the plants may die and know the axies will be ok...

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I am curious to know how those stones would not be swallowed ? I have seen sand / stone substrates that have been siliconed on, but looking at the pictures, it looks too deep.

kuphie

Reaction score
I assure you, the substrate in that tank is an impaction risk waiting to happen. Take it from someone who knows. Switch to sand. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1