Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What are they?

DemonsAngel999

Reaction score
I recently ordered a batch of eggs and when they arrived, there were white hair like worms in with them. There was no water movement so I know they werent actually hair. They seemed as though they were trying to get at the eggs. Ive since removed them, but I'm curious what were they?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
There are hundreds of nematode species. Some of them are parasitic, some aren't. It's really hard to say.

Danni

Reaction score
Hi

I recently had some tiny white "worms" on some eggs, but using my grandpas microscope discovered they werent actually worms, and had legs and spikes....so they may not be worms. Sorry this does not help. be sure to get rid of them (though it may be hard) as they destroyed my batch of eggs...

Mine did definitely not look like any nematodes which I just looked at on google....and I got a very good look at them....I am thinking of drawing a diagram from the microscope as I would like to know what they are also.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Diagrams are great. There are a lot of people here who are really well versed in invertebrates.

DemonsAngel999

Reaction score
Oh my goodness. I hope that now that Ive got them all that they'll flourish. I'll keep you all posted on how things are going. As of now about seven are developing on schedule, there were more "duds" than viable eggs a few look like they are trying to develop. Thanks for all the info.

Tiffany.

Danni

Reaction score
Well, this is what mine look like in a microscope. The second picture is of these structures they have built and seem to live in in my tank (I have taken out my axolotls).

Attachments

• Aqaurium worm 001.jpg
    Aqaurium worm 001.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 240
  • Aqaurium worm 003.jpg
    Aqaurium worm 003.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 230

Morrison

Reaction score
I have never seen anything like that but wow that looks incredibly weird.

Danni

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly when I first looked at it, becoming kinda accustomed now though...

brillB07

Reaction score
is the second pic, a pic of the worm things in the poop? could the axie have some form of parasite?

Danni

Reaction score
Hi

I don't think it lives in the axolotls seeing as there never seems to be any on them and they are in random places around the tank aka on the glass. Also, I have taken them out of the tank and there has been none in their temporary tank or in their poop.

Thanks
Danni

DemonsAngel999

Reaction score
It seems as though the little buggers destroyed my entire batch..... :'( ... I'll have to give it another try when I can get ahold of another batch.

Danni

Reaction score
Hi

They must be quite common because I went to the museum and ONE OF THEIR TANKS HAD SOME IN IT! They were in with snails and small fish in one of the display tanks and by chance I saw them and was amazed.

Danni

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1