Is there ANY way?

Morrison

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Now I'm almost sure my poor axie has costia AND.... red leg disease. I'm not worrying that much about Costia right now because I really want to get rid of the red leg thing.

I've read several things how to treat it but those are things that don't work or is something we cannot get here in the Netherlands....
I went to a vet today and she was also like: "Hmm, this is new to us..."

So is there a really effective treatment that does work? The wound on the tail has healed pretty much but now he has red feet with bloody ulcer kinda things on it and the whole tail has a red blush with blood vessels showing...

I don't know what EVER went wrong and why NOTHING ever works to me....

I'm sick of this... Poor axies. They deserved so much better.

So sorry to hear about your continued problems, Morrison. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with red leg in axolotls so the best I can suggest is to fridge the poor thing to relieve some stress. Are you sure that that is what this is? Sometimes axolotls will form open sores when their stress coats have been compromised in some way. Tea baths may be of some help with soothing this condition.

Furan 2 is a little pricey but is a good all around medication often recommended but I don't know if you have access to this over there...

Thanks.

Is it actually possible to give him a tea bath and fridge him at the same time?

I have bought something called Furanol 2 and I think it's about the same as Furan-2 (it also works against aeromonas, pseudomonas and other things that may cause red leg and sores but I wasn't sure if it did work so... I will continue with that as well. It turns the water pretty.... yellow) My other axies seem to do quite well but I'll keep a close eye on them.

Last edited:
oh Morrison I do feel for you :( Hope your axies get better soon you really are having such a hard time and your trying so hard aswell. All the best

good luck with that morrison!

I would also ask some advice from the ambystoma research center... they may have a clue too

Thanks.

I've sent an e-mail to them about a week or 2 ago and they also said it's caused by aeromonas and pseudomonas (they cause red leg or other bloody sores and stuff) and the other thing might be costia. (The white milky color on the tail fin).

So I really hope something works. (It does look less red today....but it might be just because he is not that active at the moment...)

Morrison, you can give tea baths in conjunction with fridging, as long as your tea baths are the same temperature as the fridge water. So prepare your tea solution ahead of time, and keep it in the refrigerator next to where you're keeping the axolotl, and then use that so there's no temperature shock.

I hope things work out for you!

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back