Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

An Early Christmas (Sal ID Plz)

Dezray91

Reaction score
Hello everyone, im Desi from from SoCal and im hoping i can maybe get this lil guy identified soon...

My dad works as the supervisor at Home Depot and yesterday they had just received a new shipment of Christmas trees from Colorado when one of his guys found a salamander amongst the trees.Thats about as much we know about where he came from.

From what i can see he is a dull black/grey color with a fairly large arrow-shaped head and wide mouth. Hes got very dark brown eyes and a thick tail, also hes got the faintest pinprick sized spots but im not sure they're worth noting. Overall, hes rather small in size... just about as long as the palm of my hand.

Ive provided some pictures. Sorry about the quality, they're from my phonecam in natural light. Good luck you guys <3

5d8bd6fcb729__1291145300000.jpeg

9b0d5c878794__1291145300000.jpeg

718c41ca9604__1291145380000.jpeg

6268b420599c__1291145380000.jpeg

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like Ambystoma gracile to me. You can find more information here. All terrestrial ambystomatids have similar care. You can find a general caresheet for tiger salamanders here, but the advice within is applicable to all Ambystomatids. You should note that it's illegal to keep Ambystomatid salamanders in the state of California.

Dezray91

Reaction score
Your exactly right! Ambystoma gracile looks exactly like him... oh but its a bummer hes illegal here in Cali. Poo :( what do you suppose i do with him? Right now ive got him in a tank i bought last-minute with some sand and bottled water, as well as a log a reptile store gave me. Hes eating blood worms, but thats as much as ive invested so far. Since his arrival was sorta last minute and all lol.

Wolferic

Reaction score
I would if i were find out where they are in your area then return it there. If it isn't around your area keep it until spring or until you can return it to a spot where they are from. Legally you should contact the Local Ministry about it and ask what to do.. but I would go with one of the first myself lol.. Just sayin...

warrior

Reaction score
It may be illegal to keep Amystomads in CA but I don't think anyone is going to worry and check if you have illegal salamanders,especially if you didn't actually collect it!You saved it's life.I say if you like it keep it,if not let it go in a forest near water.Why do people jump to conclusions on this board?The state of California has alot to worry about these days and it's not worried about who's keeping salamanders.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
It may be illegal to keep Amystomads in CA but I don't think anyone is going to worry and check if you have illegal salamanders,especially if you didn't actually collect it!You saved it's life.I say if you like it keep it,if not let it go in a forest near water.Why do people jump to conclusions on this board?The state of California has alot to worry about these days and it's not worried about who's keeping salamanders.

It would be very wrong for the forum to encourage anyone to break the law. By posting on the forum for information, there is an obligation by all of us not to miss lead anyone . If the law states that it is illegal to own/ posses it, then the owner must be aware of the risks. The laws are there for a reason. This is exactly the type of forum that may be watched .
However I do understand your comments. This animal may have landed in the hands of some one who cares about its welfare. If you know of a way that this may be kept legally, please do say.

nhaislip

Reaction score
It would be very wrong for the forum to encourage anyone to break the law. By posting on the forum for information, there is an obligation by all of us not to miss lead anyone . If the law states that it is illegal to own/ posses it, then the owner must be aware of the risks. The laws are there for a reason. This is exactly the type of forum that may be watched.

Noted and I agree. However I would say it is also wrong to release this animal back into the wild. I am not worried about it becoming an invasive species and infesting CA, but I would be worried about the pathogens that it may be carrying and releasing it into a possibly pristine or naive population may have untold consequences and I would definitely never suggest this. What is the lesser of two evils? To me, I would say donate it to a nature center, rehabilitation center, just don't release it back into the wild. Just my 2 cents.

Dezray91

Reaction score
Hey everyone thank you all for all your advise! Ive been mulling over all that you have said and have been considering what i should do with the little adventurer.
I would be lying if it didn't cross my mind just to keep him, he IS quite adorable. But i am quite concerned about his welfare, last night when i received him he was quite sluggish and since i was ill equipped for his arrival i am sad to say im pretty sure he is in an unsuitable enviorment for his species right now.On the bright side, hes doing well now, eating bloodworms, swimming about the tank, and loafing around on his log.
It is unfortunate that hes illegal here! I feel sorta bad, since this all seems kinda convenient for me. I wanted an Axy a while back but knew they were illegal and now x-mas rolls by and my Dad finds a salamander under a chrismas tree just for me!
Rest assure i have no intention on releasing him in the wild! I live next to the beach and suitable forest enviorments are quite a drive away so thats a no-go. I like the suggestion of maybe donating him to a nature center. I know where there are a lot of really great ones. But for know i think ill just hold onto him for a little longer and see how it goes. I promise ill treat him well until i find a place that can treat him better :p

@ warrior & bellabelloo : Thankyou both for understanding and offering your opinions on the situation. I didnt mean to own a salamander illegally in Cali, it was just dumb luck. But im glad hes here, im sure it was a rough journey for him. At the same time, i dont encourage people to intentionally squire animals that are illegal in California.

@ FRANCOIS : Hahah, you make me laugh XD

FRANCOIS

Reaction score
Hey everyone thank you all for all your advise! Ive been mulling over all that you have said and have been considering what i should do with the little adventurer.
I would be lying if it didn't cross my mind just to keep him, he IS quite adorable. But i am quite concerned about his welfare, last night when i received him he was quite sluggish and since i was ill equipped for his arrival i am sad to say im pretty sure he is in an unsuitable enviorment for his species right now.On the bright side, hes doing well now, eating bloodworms, swimming about the tank, and loafing around on his log.
It is unfortunate that hes illegal here! I feel sorta bad, since this all seems kinda convenient for me. I wanted an Axy a while back but knew they were illegal and now x-mas rolls by and my Dad finds a salamander under a chrismas tree just for me!
Rest assure i have no intention on releasing him in the wild! I live next to the beach and suitable forest enviorments are quite a drive away so thats a no-go. I like the suggestion of maybe donating him to a nature center. I know where there are a lot of really great ones. But for know i think ill just hold onto him for a little longer and see how it goes. I promise ill treat him well until i find a place that can treat him better :p

@ warrior & bellabelloo : Thankyou both for understanding and offering your opinions on the situation. I didnt mean to own a salamander illegally in Cali, it was just dumb luck. But im glad hes here, im sure it was a rough journey for him. At the same time, i dont encourage people to intentionally squire animals that are illegal in California.

@ FRANCOIS : Hahah, you make me laugh XD

You could consider selling it or giving it to a member on Caudata one day, I would be taker.... anyway, the positive thing is that your dad saved the salamander which looks beautiful and healthy. The fact he is eating is very encouraging, he must have been hungry for quite a while! Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1