Question: Feeding Axolots While Away Question

GuyM

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi,
I own two Axolotls which I have owned for around 2/3 months, not sure how old they were when I bought them but they were considered ‘small’ by the pet shop, they are now approximately 15cm from head to tail tip (If this isn’t enough information I can upload pictures).
I'm going away for New Years for a week and my family don’t know how to feed them, will they be safe if I give them a good feed before I go and after I return? Or should I risk having my family dropping in some meat chunks that ‘should’ be found and eaten by my Axolotls while I’m gone?
I just worry that if the Axolotls don’t find the meat left in the tank while it’s ok to eat it might go bad and cause problems for the Axolotls later.
Thanks,

They are at an appropiate size that they could easily go a week without food. When I go on vacations, the last feed they get is always 2 days before I leave. This gives me the final day to remove as much waste or uneaten food as possible to reduce the risk of the water fouling.

Really? Excellent, that's a huge relief.

Thanks

I mainly feed them “Aqua Master Axolotl Pellets”, then a couple of times a week Axolotl specific fish meat blocks that I get from my local pet shop and the occasional earthworm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back