Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filtration Setup

wickedzik

Reaction score
Hi to all, just want to share my new filtration setup. I used to have a sponge filter in my 15g tank, and it wasn't quite sufficient for my tank. Decided to buy a plain $5 overhead filter-box and made some minor add-ons.

$5 Overhead Filter-Box
IMG01231-20101208-0424.jpg

Ceramic Rings In A Bucket Of Beer
IMG01232-20101208-0424.jpg

Bottom Layer
IMG01235-20101208-0434.jpg

IMG01237-20101208-0435.jpg

Mid Layer
IMG01238-20101208-0451.jpg

Top Layer
IMG01242-20101208-0458.jpg

IMG01241-20101208-0458.jpg

Finished Setup
IMG01247-20101208-0500.jpg

See How It Runs ↓
YouTube - Overhead Filter Ceramic Rings

wickedzik

Reaction score
Why were the ceramic rings soaking in a bucket of beer?

The bucket was never used for holding beer/beer bottles, it's just a souvenir that I got from our special once-a-year beer event here in our country. Cleaned/rinsed it thoroughly with aged water before I put those ceramic rings. Sorry if there were misinterpretations Bella, just added some humor in the caption.

Can you post a picture to show it with the tank?
I have no idea how the whole thing works :confused:

Sure Eva.

newttank.jpg

Could you give some more explanation about the idea behind it, please? I cannot imagine what the idea is... The water seems to be running over only a few pipes instead of using the whole capacity??

Kind regards,

Steven

Sure Steven, I'd be glad to explain.

First of all, the OHF filter-box is running on full capacity. There were multiple trial and errors made before I decided on the final/current setup. There were trials that made the water overflow because the water input is overwhelming the water output. Gradually decreased the quantity of ceramic rings for every trial until I get a consistent water level.

Explain.jpg

Looking above, the blue portion indicates the consistent level of water. The green portion indicates the tray level(on top of the bottom layer of ceramic rings). The filter-box is about approx. 30% water-filled where I feel comfortably safe.

The ceramic rings on the sides doesn't serve as its usual purpose, I placed them on both sides to have equal balance of weight because I personally prefer the filter-box to be slightly heavy. Before I used them for the weight-adding, I tried different kinds of small rocks, then I realized I still have a fair amount of ceramic rings left, so I used them instead of rocks which is much better because at least they're in uniform.

Explain0.jpg

Explain2.jpg

My newt tank is consistently maintaining good water quality. I'd say that the filter is doing its job just fine. The newts are happy with their crystal clean and ammonia-free water. :love: Only thing left I have to do is add a cotton filter wool on top of the ceramic rings.

evut

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for explaining that.
Is that all you have in the tank? The animals need somewhere to hide if they feel like it and some places to explore. They love plants and things to sit on and hang from. They are "playful" animals and will reward you with a lot of activity to watch if you give them an interesting environment.

wickedzik

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for explaining that.
Is that all you have in the tank? The animals need somewhere to hide if they feel like it and some places to explore. They love plants and things to sit on and hang from. They are "playful" animals and will reward you with a lot of activity to watch if you give them an interesting environment.

Hi. I just got the tank less than a week ago from my cousin. I still have a lot to add to make it a much more beautiful home for my babies. Thanks for those words Eva, got even more inspired. :happy:

Ideal Additions to be added soon:

More water lilies
http://www.allbestpictures.com/wallpapers/flowers/image/water_lilies.jpg

Resin Cave
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlS8BKBd1xdFoleKWWC4XW6lDY-KAIW6arLL9FS_31QDDO-9YT4A

Tons of Hydrilla
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlS8BKBd1xdFoleKWWC4XW6lDY-KAIW6arLL9FS_31QDDO-9YT4A

Last edited:

stavroske

Reaction score
Actually in such a big thank it is not necessary to use such big filter. On the other hand it might be good for when you put some more sals in the tank. As eva said, you definitely need to add some plants and hidingplaces. I even would recommend some schrimps. Shrimps (red cherry) wil start breeding in your tank and filter and eat the foodrests. Plants like elodea are will do fine and are also good for egg laying of your sals..

Best wishes,

Steven

wickedzik

Reaction score
Actually in such a big thank it is not necessary to use such big filter. On the other hand it might be good for when you put some more sals in the tank. As eva said, you definitely need to add some plants and hidingplaces. I even would recommend some schrimps. Shrimps (red cherry) wil start breeding in your tank and filter and eat the foodrests. Plants like elodea are will do fine and are also good for egg laying of your sals..

Best wishes,

Steven

To elaborate the line "Ideal Additions to be added soon - List" from my last post.

The.. Items.. That.. Are.. On.. That.. List.. Are.. Ideally.. Planned.. To.. Be.. Added..
Soon..

I hope I don't see future posts saying that I need to add plants and hides.
As for the shrimps, that's a good suggestion that I am very interested in. If I add red cherry shrimps will my CFBN's eat them? If they won't, I'll prolly add those as well. Thanks in advance.

wickedzik

Reaction score
Interesting filtration idea, I like it.

Thanks Carsona, I don't care if I'm being too sure, bec. there's no such thing as over-filtration affecting the water quality in a bad way. Under filtration is a big problem though. Thanks for respecting man.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1