Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

From this....To this in 2 weeks.

iChris

Reaction score
I just had a very big scare whilst cleaning my axolotls tank.

To my alarm when turning over the sand, I noted patches of what looked what only could be described as rust on the bottom of my aquarium, so I quickly removed my axolotl, all the rocks, plants and substrate, and did a 100% water change, so I could find the cause.

After I had done this, I noted that what was marketed as a "aquarium safe" Penn-Plax aquarium thermometer on a stainless steel bracket, which came with the thermometer, had patches of rust, and in my understanding, stainless steel shouldn't rust.

the thermometer was in the aquarium for 2 weeks until I saw the rust (just now) and removed it.

I had not noted any strange behavior from my axolotol during this period, but as some of you may remember from previous posts, I had a rather lushly-planted aquarium, but some of my plants, including my floating plants started to die off rather quickly.

what should I look out for, incase my axie has been exposed to any chemicals that could have been released from the dodgy thermometer?

and I for one, will not be buying the Penn-Plax Brand again.

Attachments

• IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 187

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Watch out for skin peeling or fungus, or 'scratching' at the gills. Do some small water changes frequently to remove any offenders.

I've never had much of an issue with Penn Plax. It seems strange. Maybe contact them and let them know about what happened, anyway.

iChris

Reaction score
thanks for the advice, he seems to be going fine, the leeching seemed to have effected my plants more, but I have removed all rocks, substrate and other ornaments that were in the tank at the time, so I hope that nothing has been missed, either in the tank or inside the filter.

I will continue to monitor my tank, and do small water changes, and I do plan on contacting Penn Plax.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!