My friend's tiger sal terrarium and inhabitants

Yahilles

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Display Name
Janusz Wierzbicki
My buddy, who doesn't know English asked me to post pictures of his tank and tigers on this forum, so here are the photos:
terrabuby.jpg

And "winter" version:
20101217212.jpg

And inhabitants (sadly, no certain info about what species or subspecies they might be - every tiger here in Poland is sold under the name of Ambystoma tigrinum)
20101209198.jpg

20101209199.jpg

20101209195.jpg

What on earth is going on with these links?

The forum software has disabled them because they link to a site that shows adverts to people viewing images.

You can upload them to your profile gallery and use the IMG tags there or alternatively upload them as image attachments.

Ok, here:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,493
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 1,188
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,006
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 1,495
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 2,159
I would go with Blotched. Ambystoma mavortium melanostictum. They look healthy.

years back I had a group with the same marks, I go for A. M. Melanostictum.

Yup. They clearly looked like blotched (melanostictum) at first glance to me.

They are surely well treated.

p.s. Tell him to take Lichens out from the terrarium they will not make it at all. As most of all the plants in there.
cheers,

While I keep A.m.mavortium, A.m.melanostictum, and A.tigrinum, I actually catch identical animals [melanostictum] to these regularly. Some of them can be quite muddy colored with finer markings. Animals further north can be quite yellow. I have seen juveniles further east which were yellow (one was orange), though the adults were light olive. Further west and south they are sometimes lime green. I've often contemplated sapling adults from throughout their range, to determine how much variation there is in color and pattern, and whether those colors and patterns correlate with habitat and genetics. A large part of the range of the blotched tiger salamander has only been occupied for less than 10000 years. That rapid range expansion should mean that they haven't diverged into distinct forms, but they will be evolving quickly [evolution is dependant on how many babies are produced, not how many years have passed]. Blotched tigers may also NOT be distinct from barred, and are simply the northern end of color variation in barred tigers.

Gray tigers are gray or yellowish, typically with black spots and blotches instead of a black network

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back