Good aquatic plants?

DeCypher

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Austin
A couple weeks ago I made a BIG mistake. I talked to the people at the pet store about some aquatic plants they were selling, and they talked me into getting some Peacock Ferns (Selaginella Wildanowii). The plants started to look very bad, so I looked them up online to see what was wrong with them. It turns out that this is a terrestrial plant, not an aquatic one! So now I'm on the road again to find some attractive, hardy, aquatic plants for my Notophthalmus Viridescens crew. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I have java moss in all my tanks. I love it. It's hardy and quite beautiful.

I have java moss in all my tanks. I love it. It's hardy and quite beautiful.

I have to agree with otterwoman, recently added java moss and tied it on a driftwood.

@otterwoman
- Will it spread and expand if I tie the java moss to a flat rock? or it's only applicable on driftwoods?

I've done some extensive research lately on plants for my own setup. Anubias are supposed to be quite good, along with species such as elodea, anacharis, and the aforementioned java moss.

What sort of temperatures and lighting conditions are we looking at?

My tanks run with temps betwin 6 and 20C. With luck I cultivate Ludwigia repens, Vallisneria, Egeria densa, Ceratophyllum - both species, Echinodorus tenellus, macrophylla, uruguayensis. Najas seems to survive but almost disappear in winter.

Martin

The temp is 55-65 in the winter, 65-70 in the summer. Lighting is good. The tank is right next to the window and I usually have the light on at night.

I got a PM from somebody saying that the Peacock Ferns are aquatic, though so maybe they'll come back...

in the link below you will find aquatic plants that are used in outdoor ponds and survive low temperatures thus suitable for cool set ups. at the moment i got java moss, frontalis and egeria densa at 8 degrees celsius all doing very well.

usuall all outdoor pond plants are good for newt tanks as they usually do not have any temperature preferences compared to regular aquarium plants.

Oxygenating Plants

Anacharis is very hardy.

Duckweed will create a carpet of green over your water with high light and is very hardy also.

Water Lettuce is illegal in some states, but floats and multiplies really quickly.

pothos grows in water no problem have it in all my aquatic tanks.

my new favorite: Shinnersia rivularis, or mexican oak leaf. It grows like there's no tomorrow; everytime you turn around, it has put on another pair of leaves. It has grown from substrate level to the top (8") in a week, and it's a big plant, with large leaves and dense nodes toward the surface. The newts love to hang out in it.

Water wisteria is without a doubt my favorite filter plant. It looks pretty if you give it some space to grow out, and it will grow in just about any condition. Cambomba is also another favorite. It melts less than other hardy plants like anacharis, or hornwort, but grows just as fast. It also has a red variant that grows red at the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back