Dropped Ammonia test solution in tank

axokyle

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Kyle
I was doing a ammonia test as i haven't done it since i first set the tank up and i accidently knocked the bottle off the top of the tank, Only a small amount has gone into the water as its a dropper style bottle but its started to go slightly just in that area.

Iv unplugged the filters just to stop it been swirled around.

Will it be ok to leave or is full water change needed?

Re: Dropped Ammonia test solutuion in tank

I think you should take all the animals out of the tank now and put them in containers like a bucket or similar with fresh dechlorinated water in, not water out of the tank. Then that buys you some time to consider what to do next. I personally would change 100% of the water, my ammonia tester says its highly toxic on the label.

I worry about doing a 100% water change, SUPER stressful on the animals. The carbon in the filter may actually help you, as it removes discolorants and odors, it might remove the chemical too. My ammonia test doesn't say it's toxic, it only says it's an irritant. If you do decide to move them or leave them there, not a bad idea to keep the lights out to help with stress. Maybe also call your local fish store, they may have dealt with this before.

~Emily~
musilvr4eva

If you happen to have fresh carbon in your filter that might be helpful, I would still do a very big water change. At least change about 50% now and do another big water change in about an hour or so.

And then do a few more 30% or so over the next few days.

The thing about axolotls is they are extremely sensitive to foreign chemicals in water, their skin is basically a permeable membrane which is not very selective about what it permeates, so any substances in your water end up in your axolotls system pretty quickly. Look around in this forum you will find many sad stories of axolotls that have died from poisoning.

A big water change might be stressful but is not fatal. A toxic/irritant chemical in it's bloodstream may well be.

Did a bit of research on your behalf ... Ammonia tester kits are generally Nessler's reagent which contains Mercury(II) chloride which is highly toxic. You should get your axies out of there and decontaminate your tank asap

I've once heard a story that someone accidentally dropped some bleach-like something in the water. He didn't do anything about it ("That's okay.The filter will take care of it") and then they started to 'shed'.
Just to see how bad it can be. Well they survived it somehow...

I agree with Steve. Aw man I hope your little guy/guys are okay!

While it does say it's an irritant, we have to remember that if we get an irritant on our hands, we can wash it off...the axos are stuck where they are in the water.

Let us know what happened!

I just wondered if everything went ok, haven't heard an update yet.

~Emily~

Sorry to keep you all in suspence, I have been on here but its Read only on my mobile.

Luckily they were fine, My wilds gills appear to have got smaller and uneven down one side of its face but other than that they show no signs of any unusual behaviour, Both still eating like a pack of staved piranhas!

Thanks for your concern guys and girls! :happy:

I just gota remember to put the bottle down on the desk instead of the tank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back