Axolotl possibly sick. Not moving back legs

Rasa171

Reaction score
Country
Estonia
Hello. I've had him/her since the 26th of december and it seems as if he's had problems with back legs since then. But today he's kind of struggling to get from one place to the other and movements are slow and body seems stiff. He is eating though. I also did a ph test a few days ago and it showed 8.0-8.5. I know it's too much but can this also be the cause of this problem? Please take a look at this album. The last 8 pictures are made today and you can see how he's holding up his legs.
Thanks in advance if anyone responds.

Have you tested for Ammonia and Nitrites?

What kind of substrate do you have in your tank?

I don't know how to find the photos. Can you give a link to the album?

If the pH is 8, that is fine. If it is 8.5, that really is "pushing it". Is this the normal pH of your tap water?

Duh, I forgot to put the link. Here's the album: DELFI Pilt > Kasutaja album > My Axolotl
I have only tested for ph and I did it again today. It seems it's between 7.5-8 now.
He's still moving around very awkwardly and it seems as if there's something wrong. Substrate is gravel, mostly big stones that he couldn't swallow but there are also smaller ones, I'm putting in slate slabs and taking this one out this week.
Thank you for response.

Take the gravel out immediately! Gravel of that size can be ingested, and can cause impaction, which can cause death.

With your symptoms listed, I imagine this is what is causing your axolotl's issues. You need to put your axolotl in the fridge, a procedure outlined here. This will hopefully help him pass the gravel that he has probably ingested.

I think he might have been a little constipated as I fed him twice a day. He's moving a lot better right now and doesn't seem to have any problems. I took out the gravel, put in 0.1mm sand, a little plant and some nice flat stones. So a whole new environment. I checked the parameters and everything is perfect. (6 in 1 kit) Going to post some pictures of him/her and the aquarium to another topic and hope to get some response. Thank you for helping :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back