Photo: My first axolotls

aymeh21

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just went and picked these guys up at the post office this morning. Right now I am keeping them in a plastic container until they get a little bigger. I do have them together right now, but I am keeping an eye out for signs that I need to separate them.

Attachments

• 100_2272.jpg
    100_2272.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 100_2273.jpg
    100_2273.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 100_2274.jpg
    100_2274.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 125
Cutie Patooties!

Have you got a tank set up for them for when they get bigger yet? Now's the time to start! Then you'll have plenty of time in case something doesn't go according to plan.

I have a 10 gallon that I am going to put them in for a while. Right now the 10 gallon has a few fish that I am babysitting, but that ends on Monday so I will start getting the gravel out of there and I think I've decided to go with sand.

I plan on keeping them in the 10 gallon only until I get some spare cash to purchase a 29 gallon. Then I will either move them to that or move the fish I have in my 55 gallon to the 29 and keep axies in my 55. (which is sounding better every second after I got these lil critts)

We're going to start working on a canopy for the top of my ten gallon. we're going to make it out of Plexiglas and install L.E.D's and the two fans in it to cool the water when summer comes.

How long do you think it will be before they would out grow a ten gallon?

Oh my goodness those are absolutely adorable. Congratulations!

It'll only be a couple of months til they outgrow a 10 gallon. A 20 long would be better suited than a 29 gallon. Longer = better. The bigger footprint your tank has, the better it will be. Axolotls don't use the water column much, but spend a lot of their time on the ground.

Check craigslist/freecycle and local garage sales for tanks. You can usually pick stuff up for very reasonable.

Yawwwwwwww! Want! What pretty critters!

That must have been one exciting parcel!

Won't take long at all for them to grow out of that temp tank! I was so surprised how quickly mine grew :S

Thanks for the advice on the 20 Long, that's a great idea that I am now on the hunt for.

And yes, an exciting, but very nerve wrecking one! I was so relieved when I opened it up to see them moving around and looking great! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back