Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fat female with blue stomach!

siona

Reaction score
My female (who laid eggs a week ago) seems to have got fatter in the last couple of days. I've also noticed a darker, blueish bit on her belly. Should I be concerned? Is a visit to the fridge in order or shall I wait and see how she fares? She's been eating well, a mixture of frozen bloodworms, frozen feeder fish and earthworms from the garden.
There's nothing in the tank that she could have swallowed...she does have a habit of sucking in sand then spitting it outm but there are no stones in there...

Attachments

• DSC00644.jpg
    DSC00644.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 12,193

mewsie

Reaction score
Mine regularly look this way - I thought it was just full bellies/preparing little tank gifts for me.

siona

Reaction score
Mine regularly look this way - I thought it was just full bellies/preparing little tank gifts for me.

lol nicely put! She looks better this morning so I think you're right - I just got a bit worried :p

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I agree. This is why we recommend sand as a substrate rather than gravel. The sand will be passed through the intestine, while gravel can be lodged in there.

kuphie

Reaction score
I agree as well, it looks like the substrate is in her belly to me. Is this gravel? the picture is a little foggy (i also can't find my glasses:eek:)

Sometimes gravel can cause a life threatening impaction. I would suggest to take the gravel out and use fine sand. Try leaving her in a bare bottom tank and see how many pebbles she poops out. I think you'll be surprised at what you see. :happy:

If you want to see something really amazing click on my link below.

Reaction score
Looks like gravel to me - small gravel(but not quite as fine as sand)...probably a good idea to get it out of there if she's ingesting enough to cause such a large belly.

siona

Reaction score
Sorry haven't checked this thread in a while. The photo is terrible sorry! It is sand in the tank - quite fine and I've had no problems with it. The day after the photo was taken she was back to normal and she's been fine since. I put it down to her having just laid eggs for the first time... To be honest it never occured to me that it could be the sand! I thought it was normal...like the internal organs showing through or something :-S

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1