Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Garlic?

The Banana

Reaction score
Okies, so I have a new axie. Had him for a few days.. hasn't touched any food at all (including earthworms, Banana's favourite). Can't seem to close his mouth at all.. and has a scratch/scar on his side (not to mention a missing tail tip).

Anyway, should I be concerned that he can't/won't close his mouth?
How can I get him to eat.
I've been suggested this from a fish forum -

I'm really not sure if this works for Axys like it does for fish so you're best off checking at an actual Axolotl forum or something, but food soaked in garlic juice (or even just rubbed on the garlic) can entice most fish to eat. Smells good and can help clear parasites out of the gut. But please do ask someone who specializes in them first because I have no idea if it's poisonous to them or something.

So will it work?

Oh, HERE is his thread.
Thank you. :)

He is currently in a large plastic tub on his own. Bare-bottomed, PVC pipe, a silk plant.

blackdog

Reaction score
Scratches and tail tips are not an issue - as long as the waer and general health is good, they grow back and heal well.

Not eating for a few days is not really an issue either, the appetite can vary for lots of reasons.

Before anyone can really assist you , they will want to know all your water parameters and set up

PH
AMMonia?
Nitrites
Nitrates
GH
KH
Water temp
Tank size
Substrate
Filter?
HIdes?
Plants?
Tank mates?

He is currently in a large plastic tub on his own. Bare-bottomed, PVC pipe, a silk plant.

Does that mean he was in a different tank before? I ask because your profile pic shows an axie on top of some unsuitable looking rocks. Was your axie ever on gravel or rocks like the ones pictured?

Bren

The Banana

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. :)
My axie in the pic was in that for like half a week, then it was removed. Banana was in a small 33L tank until the 400L cycled. She is perfectly fine. Soo.. then they were moved into the 400L tank. It has a canister filter, and I placed some tall plants next to it so the flow won't be an issue. There is also a large tree stump, PVC pipes, etc.
Tank mates, Banana, the golden axie in my avatar. They were aquarium buddies, and really seem to like each other.
No, Aristotle Axolotl was never in with substrate like that.. they've gone to one of my Bettas. :)

Water temp good. I'm constantly monitoring that, since it is Summer in Australia now (though it isn't very Summery, but today is hot). :)

As for the rest of the tank parameters, I don't currently know..

blackdog

Reaction score
Let's assume all the water parameters are ok, you seem to have a handle on the cycle etc.

If it's only been a few days, i wouldn't be too stressed about not eating just yet, as een the bit of turmoil caused by moving into a new environment might cause that

I would persist with the worms

Re mouth open - can you post a pic? Sounds strange. Was it on gravel substrate at the aquarium before you got it?

The Banana

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it was bare-bottomed tank they were in at the LFS. :) Edit: This LFS is very relaible. They advise is great. They seem to know what they are doing, so the axies were fine.
Mouth just open as if smiling. All the rocks are bigger than head, no chance of swallowing. Like I said, now in bare-bottomed.
Picture -
iphonephotos003.jpg

Last edited:

The Banana

Reaction score
Silly me.
Last night, I had three earthworms in a foam-cup. Went to do something, and I put half a drink-bottle over them so they won't escape. Didn't release that it was cut on an angle. All escaped.
I found one, the other two are probably rotting away somewhere in my room. Great.

mewsie

Reaction score
If this was facebook, I'd be clicking the 'like' button right now! Too funny, hope you find them!

The Banana

Reaction score
Thanks. :)
Guess what I've just found!
Aristotle Axolotl passed out three small pebbles.. not one, THREE! No wonder he wouldn't eat!
I'm really happy I put him into a bare-bottomed tank, so now I know..
It wasn't there an hour ago, so that's why he was looking funny. Tried another worm, no luck. Maybe tonight.
Maybe the LFS did have gravel in it.. or at least the supplier they got it from did.

blackdog

Reaction score
If his mouth looks like it does in the pic above, it looks ok to me - maybe he is just smiling :)

I'd keep trying with the worms, sometimes if my guys are being fussy, several small worms works better than one big one.

I would not be that concerned after just a few days in a new tank

The Banana

Reaction score
Thanks Blackdog. :)
Yeah, I had a few small worms.
I'm positive he'll pull through now. To think this little axolotl ate THREE pebbles and digested them. Poor little guy. I hope there isn't any more in his system.

siona

Reaction score
I'm sure he feels MUCH better now - how big were the pebbles??

And eeww about the worms! I hope they found a way back outside...bleh!

The Banana

Reaction score
I'm really not sure if this works for Axys like it does for fish so you're best off checking at an actual Axolotl forum or something, but food soaked in garlic juice (or even just rubbed on the garlic) can entice most fish to eat. Smells good and can help clear parasites out of the gut. But please do ask someone who specializes in them first because I have no idea if it's poisonous to them or something.

So does anyone know if this will work? :confused:

zoezakella

Reaction score
poor little guy hes so skinny :( The pets shop I got my axies from also recommended a gravel a bit bigger than yours and one of my axies became very lumpy because of it BUT he was still eating! I was advised to fridge and I could not believe the amount of gravel he pooped and sad to say he kept pooping bits of gravel out for a few weeks so maybe its worth a try fridging him to see if there is anymore in his system but whilst he is in the fridge still keep feeding him I found Finley still ate worms a few times in the first few days of fridging but even if he doesn't hopefully the cold and stress free environment may help him pass anything that he has left! Good luck and fingers crossed :happy:

Erzs

Reaction score
Hmm I've never heard about the garlic thing before. I'm not too sure how that would work with axolotls!

It looks like you may have found your culprit though if he's started pooping out gravel!

With him having a slightly open mouth you could try slab frozen blood worm, breaking a small section off letting it defrost a bit and poking it in a little. I actually did this with one of mine who didn't want food for a few days, he took it pretty much straight off and started eating again. But that might have just been good luck.

I hate seeing axolotls as skinny as that. =[ I really hope he perks up soon so Banana can have her friend!

iChris

Reaction score
Wow, he is looking skinny, I know its not recommended, but try feeding him up on beef heart, it is high in fat though so feed sparingly, I have successfully used it to fatten up a skinny axie I got from a pet store. I think he should start eating now that he has passed those bits of gravel, offer food 2 times a day and If he takes it keep feeding him until he stops eating, then try again in 12 hours time.

Remember to keep a very close eye on water chemistry and be religious with your water changes.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
At this point, anything you can get him to eat will be good. You can worry about his nutrition once he starts eating and putting on a little weight.

zoezakella

Reaction score
No worries Sarah just hope the rest of it comes out and he starts eating for you, keeping fingers & toes crossed for you x

The Banana

Reaction score
Thank you Eriz, I have frozen bloodworms and Brine Shrimp in the freezer. I'll try that. Thanks again for the tip.

Thanks iChris. I'm a bit.. um, not too keen on the beef-heart.. maybe. I'll have to think about it and then I guess I will just have to visit the LFS. :) I think I'll see if I can up the feeding times. I'm already giving him as much as I can get him to swallow, maybe it should be more regular. Yup, I'm always keeping a close eye on the water. :) Thank you for your comment.

Good point Kaysie. I'm so happy whenever I can force him to eat a pellet! Food is food.. come on little Aristotle Axolotl.. eat up!!!

Thank you Zoezakella. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1