A bit worried about my male apuanus

melfly

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi guys,
This is the first time i've posted out of the axolotl section so apologies for my lack of knowledge!
I've had a male and female apuanus (Samson and Delilah) for a few months, they seem to be to be fine up to now. (I believe they are fully grown)
I keep them aquatic, they do however tend to sit on the filter every now and then.

I have noticed Samson today and once before, clamping his back legs to his cloaca.
Could there be something wrong?

Water parameters are fine, temp is 16 degrees and they're feeding on frozen bloodworm.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mel

I've seen this once or twice in one of my aquatic juveniles, particularly when water temperature was very low (c. 3 deg. C). They are otherwise fine. If there are no other symptoms and the enclosure conditions are not obviously wrong, I wouldn't do anything other than keep an eye on them.

C

Ah ok, thank you :D

I shall keep an eye on him then.

Thanks!

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back