The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Conservation and Habitat Management For discussion of the creation and maintenance of wild habitats for caudates and other amphibians, and on amphibian conservation issues.

Old 29th January 2011   #1
amphibianizer
(Bill B)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 0
Rep: Bill B has started on the right path
Default Chara and other charophyta and salamanders

I was wondering whether there is any relationship between presence of newts and other salamanders and the presence of Chara or other members of the Charophyta? I have been told that mosquitos don't breed there, and that many turtles don't eat it.

Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011   #2
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Chara and other charophyta and salamanders

Chara and others of the same family are common in caudate habitats here in Spain, specially in the south.
They do tend to inhabit oxygen poor waters, but some caudates tolerate them very well.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011   #3
TristanH

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TristanH has given good advice and informationTristanH has given good advice and informationTristanH has given good advice and information
Default Re: Chara and other charophyta and salamanders

In Britain Chara are generally indicators of good water quality, and also commonly grow in temporary or early succession habitats (i.e. no fish). Chara prefers hard water.

Generally I think this is a great plant for amphibian cover. As it's negatively buoyant (i.e. sinks) it won't choke the water column, so Chara waters tend to retain the open water habitat preferred by Triturus larvae. Much better than the ubiquitous and invasive Canadian pondweed.

That said, I don't think most British amphibians are particularly fussy about breeding conditions, so long as it's not too extreme.

Tristan

TristanH is offline   Reply With Quote