My Setup for Axolotl, Goldfish, and Treefrog

joeyasaurusrex

Reaction score
Country
United States
DSC04323.JPG

I'm not sure if this is working to post my pictures.... but it's worth a shot I guess.

DSC04340.JPG

DSC04335.JPG

Looks like it worked! So, here's my setup, I have a 20 long aquarium with a cage topper thingy for my white's dumpy tree frog who lives up top. (although she spends her days tucked in the back of the internal filter as her jacuzzi) Axolotl lives on the large half of the divided tank and my wife's black moore goldfish lives on the other side with a small angel fish. I also have a plecostomus fish that gets switched back and forth from side to side as needed for algae control.

Let me know what you guys think, this is something of a first attempt at this sort of set-up. Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC04331.jpg
    DSC04331.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 38,858
  • DSC04334.jpg
    DSC04334.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 3,076
  • DSC04335.jpg
    DSC04335.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 16,331
  • DSC04339.jpg
    DSC04339.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 62,468
ok so sorry to be first on here to say this but I dont get this and heres a few reasons why :(

1) Your axie tank set up is so wrong - sorry! Gravel is a big no no and will lead to impaction which can kill your axie.
2) The large rock in your axie tank looks sharp to me and axie skin is soft so would not be surprised if your axie hurts itself on this!
3) there are no hides for your axie at all.
4) a plecostamos is also a danger to your axie as it could attach itself to the axie OR the axie could eat it!
5) your tank is a little on the small side for your axie not much room for him/her to explore.
6) Could not see the fish but aren't angel fish tropical and goldfish coldwater so not sure how your managing your water temps.
7) I dare not even ask about the frog as to me it looks like it has free roam of all 3 tanks as the bottom is open or has a grid on it as I can see the leaves have spilled into the axie tank so am guessing the axie & the fish tank also gets any frog poo/food etc leaking into their water??

As I say I am sorry dont want to sound horrible but this is such a bad set up I feel I have got to say something just did not want to be the first :(

Hi there,
Whilst it's an interesting and nice looking set-up you have there, I'd be tempted to make a few changes.
The axolotl could do with different substrate. If you were to take out the gravel and replace it with either sand (washed 'play-sand' or any suitable freshwater aquarium sand) or leave the bottom of the tank bare, then this would lessen the chances of the axolotl accidentally swallowing some of the gravel.
I wouldn't recommend having a plecostomus in the same tank as your axie for a number of reasons, they're really not suitable as tank-mates.
Adding a few places for the axie to hide, such as a piece of PVC pipe, or flower-pot, etc, is something the axie might like.
What are the actual dimensions of the whole set-up, by the way?
Very pretty axolotl ;)
Interesting pigmentation on the gills

Hope this helps :happy:

Last edited:
Firstly, Thanks for the input, I have been looking for larger rocks for the substrate, I would like the same size as is on the smaller partition of the tank, but in the same color as the current substrate. I will definitely add a cave or two (I hadn't thought of it) and I believe the tank size is a 30 gallon long? anyways, I really appreciate the input and I would also ask, what types of tankmates would be okay with an axie?

thanks again, -joe

In my opinion, this tank isn't ideal for any of the species. There have been many discussions in the axolotl section about gravel and appropriate tankmates - try the Search (topmost green bar on the forum). I agree with zoe and Ken - changes are needed.

Thanks for the input, I'll be removing the plecostomus and angelfish, and also adding some caves, but I'd like to leave the tree frog... she eats from my hand, so her food doesn't spill into the tank, but I guess some of her poop must get in there, do you think that'll be such a problem? (I do regular water changes and such)

Sorry Zoe, we were writing at the same time.....
I agree with the points you've raised

Are you aware of the http://www.frogforum.net/ which is run by the same people as this site?
Might be worth a browse.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Joe Thanks for not taking my comments the wrong way I would never want to intentionally upset someone and we all make mistakes which is why this forum is a fantastic place to learn and get advice from other axie owners etc!!!

I see also Ken & Jennie agree, Ken bless him has responded in a more constructive way, apolgogies I should have said the same that sand or bare bottom is best :D

Sorry to say but still no regarding the tree frog as frog poo can be toxic to axolotls even if you do, do regular water changes and is it really worth risking your axies health, also I imagine your set up must be so hard to clean with all those different compartments?

If I were you I would take out the divider and let the axie have the whole tank, with sand on the bottom, some hides and plants if you choose, you will then have one happy axie!

The angel and goldfish as I say are not compatible due to different temps needed so maybe get another 2 tanks to seperate them and the plecostomas can live with the angel as am thinking they are tropical, I know mine were when I had them.

As for the frog's habitat I cannot comment on what he needs as I have never kept frogs lol but sure this forum again will tell you all about there setup requirements just dont home him above your lovely axie!

Good luck :D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. I don't know much about tree frogs either, but I wonder if the frog hiding behind the filter (in water?) is normal behavior for the species. I imagine that it might prefer some other kind of hide.

yeah, she pretty much likes the filter I think for the running water, evenings and through the night she climbs around in her branches for us to watch :) she also loves to eat worms and crickets from my hand, she's an awesome little pet... I highly recommend one to anyone who's not had one... I've had her for a year or so I guess.

4) a plecostamos is also a danger to your axie as it could attach itself to the axie OR the axie could eat it! :(

I know it isn't the done thing to quote Wikipedia but here goes nothing.
"These catfish (plecostamos) may survive in tanks with "cold-water" species like goldfish, but it is generally not advised due to the different temperature preferences and the fact that some plecos will suck the protective slime coat off the goldfish."

I'm not an expert but I don't think axolotls would appreciate being 'cleaned'.

Sorry Joeyasaurusrex, you have put loads of effort into your setup but it doesn't appear to be suitable for your axie.

White's (Dumpy) tree frogs belong to the genus Litoria which are more closely related to True Frogs (Ranidae) such as the American Bullfrog than they are to North American tree frogs (Hylidae). Frogs in the genus Litoria prefer a wetter environment than most Hylids and regularly soak, especially when shedding and during breeding. However, your White's tree frog should have an area of dry substrate with some hides. I personally wouldn't keep a White's in this setup, but that's me.

Thanks for all your info folks, I've added some caves, got rid of the small gravel and replaced it with large rocks, also the plecostomus is history and if algae builds up I'll have to clean it myself:eek:

He seems to be much more active and I guess happy with his new environment... I'm working on convincing my wife to let me get a larger setup for him.

thanks again, -joe

Good luck convincing your wife. I'm still trying to make my wife realise axolotls are beautiful.

By the way, what became of the frog?

Good for you Joe - your axie will definately love a bigger tank, sure your wife will give in lol! Good luck

"Lady Frog" as I call her is still living above the axie tank, but I'm working on getting a terrarium for her at low cost... wish me luck!

lol :D maybe for now can you get something to put in the bottom of "lady frogs" vivarium, some perspex or something just so it stops any poop etc from dropping into tha axie tank??

Also sure you have but ebay is a good place for cheap tanks/vivariums etc also have you tried freecycle, you could put a wanted request out for one.

I don't know whether anyone has said this but have you looked up the professionally recommended tank size for goldfish? I know many people say keep them in any old tank but it looks a bit small goldfish can grow to 30cm and fish do not grow easly to the size of the tank. The smallest tank for one goldfish is 60L. 100L for 3 or more. Goldfish are social fish so like to be in groups.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back