Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Welcome home, little one!

Jzehr125

Reaction score
I just got my first axolotl - an approx. 2 month old, 2 inch gfp golden albino. I'm so excited to have my little one, my first axolotl, and to be able to watch him/her grow up.

Here he/she is Inside the 3oz cup that I used to scoop him/her out of the shipping water.
jzehr125-albums-my-first-axolotl-picture14565-little-guy-inside-3oz-cup-i-used-scoop-him-out-transport-water-look-those-little-legs.jpg

The little one in the tank. You can see the GFP a bit on his/her back.
jzehr125-albums-my-first-axolotl-picture14588-a.jpg

Again, you can see some of the GFP. Such little legs!!!!
jzehr125-albums-my-first-axolotl-picture14580-you-can-see-gfp-little-bit-here.jpg

Saying hi to the camera.
jzehr125-albums-my-first-axolotl-picture14579-a.jpg

:D
jzehr125-albums-my-first-axolotl-picture14589-a.jpg

I'm still working on a name. I figured I'd go for a surname, as they can work for either gender. So far, I'm partial to:

Moriarty - expert navigator
Sheridan - searcher or long-lived treasure
Halloran - stranger from across the sea. I'm partial to this one.
Xanthos - yellow
I also found a few normal unisex names that I liked:
Heulyn – Ray of sun
Ailin – Rock
Cadhla – beautiful/handsome
Reilly – courageous, valiant
Aeron – battle ending

Decisions, decisions!

Erzs

Reaction score
Oh my goodness it's hard to imagine they start out that small! Especially when they turn into the heffalumps I have now!

Moriarty - expert navigator
Heulyn – Ray of sun
Cadhla – beautiful/handsome

I really like those names! I hope you find one to suit! =] And I agree with Sarah a poll could be good!

Jzehr125

Reaction score
A poll might be good - I'm so indecisive, lol! Just gave the little guy some bloodworms, looked just like he was slurping up spaghetti! Gotta love the doggy paddle swim too.

So far, from the different people I've talked to and your "votes" I have:

Moriarty - 3
Heulyn - 2
Ailin - 1
Cadhla - 1
Halloran - 1

Jzehr125

Reaction score
I'm sure so! I'm excited to watch him/her grow. I'm sure it's rewarding to watch something so little gain the splendor of an adult and know that you're the one that got it there.

Morrison

Reaction score
Aww *melting*
So cute. They're so adorable when they're that size.
I also like the name Reilly :) (How do you pronounce it actually? Is it like "raley" or "really" (lol) or "gwophopfr" (don't know how to type it, lol)

Jzehr125

Reaction score
Thanks! You're actually not the odd one out, one of my friends said Xanthos yesterday too. :) It's so hard to pick names.

Updated "totals:"

Moriarty - 3
Heulyn - 2
Xanthos - 2
Ailin - 1
Cadhla - 1
Halloran - 1
Reilly - 1

Ken Worthington

Reaction score
"Reilly" would rhyme with "Wile E", as in the coyote that was always out-smarted by 'Roadrunner' :D (Good ol' Looney Tunes!)

'Moriarty' is a great name, as are some of the other Irish names......decisions, decisions.....

You could also name him by choosing random letters pulled out of a scrabble bag;
I've never met an axie called "vxjzb" before, but think of all the points you'd get.....

freya

Reaction score
oh how cute and lovely <3
i vote for cadhla cause its just saying how he/she is: a beauty!!!

smily sam

Reaction score
congrasts:happy:
i like the names Cadhla and Aeron
even though i think Moriarty will win because of all the popularity its geting:happy::wacko:

Jzehr125

Reaction score
Decisions, decisions! I'm taking the votes more as suggestions, but man, they're not helping, lol! I think the problem is that they all work well.

Ken - Perhaps I should take a look at the Scrabble player's dictionary. There are some pretty odd "words" in there, and perhaps I could get a high score as well!

Kaysie - You're definitely right there. But at least I won't have to worry about it jumping on the furniture and chewing my shoes!

Moriarty - 4
Cadhla - 3
Heulyn - 2
Xanthos - 2
Ailin - 2
Halloran - 1
Reilly - 1
Aeron - 1

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1