The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 23rd February 2011   #1
Austin
(DeCypher)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: DeCypher has shown reliable knowledge
Default Space issues

I have two Axolotls comfortably housed in a 20-gallon aquarium. I recently purchased another Axolotl juvenile. For now, the new guy is in a plastic bin. I assume it isn't healthy nor safe to put him in a 20-gallon tank with 2 others. What should I do? Can I put them all in a, let's say, 30-40-gallon tank? Or would it be better to get a seperate tank?

DeCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011   #2
Shannon
(dragonlady)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 1
Rep: dragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Space issues

If you want everybody together, the bigger the tank the better. A 30 gallon long will handle three axolotls but a 40 breeder would give them more space. You are right in thinking that a 20 gallon long would not be very comfortable for three of them. The average is to allow 10 gallons/1 foot of floor space per axolotl but extra never hurts.

Of course, your new guy could do quite well in a tank of his own if you want to go in that direction. If you plan on expanding your little family a bit more, then another tank might very well be the way to go.

I would suggest to simply plan ahead and start putting some furniture out in a yard sale or on Craigslist - it's only going to be taking up valuable axolotl space! - jk I started with a 20...now I have three 55s, a 29, and a 20...I'm at the point of suspending the kids' furniture from the ceiling...I need the floor space!

dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011   #3
Carson
(carsona246)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: carsona246 has given consistently excellent advice and informationcarsona246 has given consistently excellent advice and informationcarsona246 has given consistently excellent advice and informationcarsona246 has given consistently excellent advice and information

also quarentining yours is a good idea. I would definatly upgrade for 3 axies. I honestly wouldn't want two full grown axolotls in a twenty, let alone 3. I'd upgrade your 1st two, and put the new one in the twenty for a month to let it quarentine

carsona246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011   #4
Austin
(DeCypher)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: DeCypher has shown reliable knowledge

What would be easier to handle (such as cleaning, feeding, maintenence, etc.)?

DeCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011   #5
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

All of them in the same tank is theoretically easier. But if you're like me, once you're in the rhythm of water changes, they don't take long anyway.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote