Salt baths but still getting clear goop off gills

angyles

Reaction score
Country
United States
seymour got another round of his gill fungus, so this time I'm doing the treatment right. I followed the directions in the illustrated thread for fridging and salt bathing and it's been working great! his gills are looking good and healthy agian...for the most part. it's almost 3 weeks now. 2 tsp/liter, 15 mins twice a day. he's in the fridge at 41-42F.

my concern is, all will be well for 1-2 days, and then I'll find clear gooy stuff floating in his water and attached to his gills. I pull it off, fluff his gills to get any bits out, and change the water. Then it looks good again for 1 day ro so and I think ok, now we've got it. you're going home in a coupel days. But then BOOM, more clear goop.

So I'm wondering, is this clear/foggy goop fungus or is he sluffing slime coat?? IF it is fungus, why on earth is it still there!?! how long is this going to take?? is it time to try something different?

It's probably his slime coat. Salt baths can be irritating to the skin, which can up the production of slime.

You should discontinue salt baths. They really only need to be done for 2 or 3 days after the fungus has disappeared.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back