Illness/Sickness: Twiglets gone furry :(

vampybabe

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi all
recently I found a little ball of fluff/fungus on moomins toe, so I quickly came on here to find out what to do and was told to carefully remove it from her and that should of been early enough to catch it. And it was (thank god for this forum) This time its my lovely twiglet. For a few days hes seemed slightly sluggish and I just put this down to him having an off day. But today I could see the same furry stuff on the end of his tail. Ive taken him out and hes in a big tuppawear box at the moment with a few bloodworm to keep him company. Ive tried removing it from his tail but it looks like his skin off his tail is flaking off a bit too. To make it worse im moving house on monday and also ive 75 baby axies swimming about that hatched 2 weeks ago! It could not all happen at a worse time. Please help, I dont know what to do.

HI there,

Ok stressful time like house moves are not bad enough without sick axies :(

If you axies are still showing signs of fungus then they need to be having salt baths twice a day for no longer than 10-15 minutes at a time, I find it helpful to set a timer when you do the baths as its easy to get distracted sometimes and its harmful to leave them in for any longer!

If the fungus is gone but you are still having trouble with the peeling skin a tea bath would be of help! One of my axies currently has poorly feet with peeling skin aswell and this is what I was advised to do here is the info...

Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 2 (4th one down)

It also may be helpful to your axie to keep them in clean dechlorinated water in a cooler place for a few days in a seperate tub, just remember to change your water daily.

Good luck with your axies and house move!

Thank you, im off to get aquarium salt today, Ive just noticed today moomin has what looks like a slightly chewed tail end. Ive got twiglet in a separate tib at the moment surrounded by iceblocks to keep him cool (fridge is dodgy and tends to freeze everything) Ill have a look at the tea bath that sounds like something I should try.
Thank you again.

Thank you, im off to get aquarium salt today, Ive just noticed today moomin has what looks like a slightly chewed tail end. Ive got twiglet in a separate tib at the moment surrounded by iceblocks to keep him cool (fridge is dodgy and tends to freeze everything) Ill have a look at the tea bath that sounds like something I should try.
Thank you again.

Good luck with the salt bath hope it helps!

Not sure how big the tub is that you have twiglet in but be careful if its not big as if you have ice cubes in it you could end up with the water getting too cool and also getting to near the axies skin.
Hope all goes well.

hes in it at the moment, got 4 mins left :) oooh the ice blocks are outside, its about 3times the size of twiglet. Hes eating well, im giving him live bloodworms as treat for being on a holiday from his friends. :)
Ive made some tea up in a big container too for later. thanks again :)

great job glad its all sorted & glad that hes eating well :)

Sorry are you saying the container is 3 times the size of twiglet and if so if its shallow I really would be careful using ice blocks, is there nowhere cooler in your house a porch or something? Read the temperature and cooling section of this.... http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm#heat

My axie is currently being fridged in my conservatory as its really cold out there so works just aswell :happy:

Hi
yeah, the container is 3 times the size. At the moment im in a studio flat so nowhere else to put him, once we move we will have a few different rooms. I will keep an eye on the temp tho thanks :) awww hows your axie doing? is he ok?

No worries hope Twiglet gets better quickly :)

Jabba's feet are getting better thanks but still a bit red so she is still in the conservatory bless her, hope she's not getting lonely without her mates.

:happy:

Awww Glad shes getting better :) I think my 3 are missing each other. Evo looks so sad and lonley in the tank on his own. Both Twiglet and Moomin seem to be doing ok. Salt bath everyday and are eating fine. Was weird when my fella said.. did you feed Twiglet today? There's loads of live bloodworm in his tank! nope!! poop! lol. Didnt know they would poop live ones though. Bloodworms must be hardy little things

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back