Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Two sick axies

seminormal

Reaction score
Hi All,

Wanted to start off with a big thank-you to all the contriutors on this website, I have been following the advice in many of the threads here and its really helping.

My axolotls have a fungus infection and got pretty sick (no eating for 1 week and only eating only sporadically for a few weeks before that). The have been fridged for three days now and are getting daily salt baths (for 10 mins) the fungus on their skin is flaking off and improving rapidly :)

I worried that re introducing then to the tank might be a bad idea, surely the fungus will just be awaiting their return, so I sterilised the tank and all components and I have started re-cycling the water today with an all new filter in the pump. I also realise that I have made some mistakes especially in cycling in the past and want to get it right this time. I figure the axolotls will be in the fridge for two weeks-ish so I can get a new cycle going in the tank and hold them off in the fridge till its ready.

1. While being fridged they are still not eating when offered worms, given one is up to 9 days with no food is this serious or should I just give him time to start feeling better?

2. my water out of the tap and dechlorinated is sitting at about 7.6 PH, should I be adding something to it to make this lower? The guides dont give very good numbers but I thought this was a good time to set it all straight.

3. I gave my axolotls a mixed diet of garden worms and prefrozen axolotl food from the shop. Will the axolotl food (basically ground up fish) act as a good source of ammonia so that my tank can start the cycling process?

4. While resetting the tank I thought I would take the opportunity to get all new substrate as mine was big enough for them to swallow it just never became a problem. I also didnt like how the water locked in the substrate seemed to be basically gunk so I am not a fan of the small stones anymore. Is sand a good option? I have read on a site that axolotls dont like not have substrate as they cant grip the glass, but I would like to get it right this time.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with these questions

siona

Reaction score
I don't know about number 1, but as far as I know, that PH shouoldn't be a problem, and that kind of fish food will be fine for the cycling too.
As for number 4, sand is the most recommended substrate -they don't need much, just enough to cover the botton of the tank.

hope that helps!

seminormal

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Siona.

So they didnt eat again last night, but seem inquisative and not lathargic like they were when i first fridged them. Still worried about the eating, I tried both the frozen Axolotl food and earthworms.

On to the substrate, I went into my better of the two pet stores local to me and they dont have aquarium sand (nor does any other pet store I have rung so far) the staff member also rang me (she was going to find out what aquarium sand she could order in for me) and told me the manager thinks I should only use pebbles for easy cleaning and sand will get stuck in the axolotls gills and that in no way should an axolotl be housed in a tank wth sand.

I'm very confused as to what to use as a substrate now, Im thinking it might be better to run with nothing.

lea

Reaction score
Some axies get stressed with bare bottom. You could use slate tiles if you want, a number of members use them. I use sand and I havent had a problem yet, it is quite cute to see the little footprints in the sand:D. You can use childrens play sand if that is easier for you to get.

mewsie

Reaction score
I've never done the fridging process, but from what i understand, not eating in the fridge is quite normal as it slows their metabolism right down. In terms of how long they can go without food in the fridge, hopefully someone will come along who knows. Do they look skinny?

When they warm up, they'll be eating you out of worms before you know it. And in the meantime, keep offering them worms.

Glad they seem to be recovering!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
My axolotl used to have sand in their tank and it was easy to keep clean. When I moved them to a bigger tank I decided against sand. In their old tank the sand would be cleared to the glass by their movement. They have been on a bare bottom tank for about 3 years now and they are absolutely fine . I actually prefer the no substrate look.
Lea mentioned slate tiles, I had intended to use this when they where upgraded...but forgot :(. I was aiming to get some tiles to fit the bottom, and seal the gaps with silicone. This was so the gunk would not fester under neath.

Erzs

Reaction score
I don't understand how the sand could get stuck in their gills. I've never seen my axolotls rolling around in the sand! My only concern with sand is when they go on the hoover and I worry about the effect it might have on their tummy or mouth.

But so far nothing has caused any trouble. On the other hand when with gravel I had axolotl's not eating, pooping out gravel, and doing hand stands to try and clear other bits by vomiting! I think some people keep their axolotls on really large stones but I think it'd be a nightmare to keep clean especially if feeding bloodworm!

I don't have experience of bare bottom tank but if Bellabelloo is keeping her axolotls on it fine then I can't see there being a problem with you also doing that. You can always add sand at a later date if you choose to!

With not eating for 9 days + sporadic eating before + fungus would certainly worry me. Is there any chance of taking them to the vet as the infection might be internal and not something that can be treated with salt baths.

seminormal

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

Both the Axolotls still haven't eaten, it really must be the fridging process, they dont really acknowledge the food. Otherwise they seem to have perked up a bit and there is basically no flaky black stuff peeling off them anymore.

Still in the process of re-cycling the account, hopefully they can get back soon :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1