What could be causing this?

lisordactyl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Lisa
So, my lil' guy Clifford has another fungus! This is the third time since I've had him.

Water parametres are ideal, the temperature is a little on the cool side, but stable, he's eating and still behaving normally. Also, since the last time he had the fungus he's had a complete water change and substrate change as he's been introduced into a new tank - he had the same filter, ornaments and plants, though.

I've done a biggish water change today, and I'll do a salt bath if it doesn't get better on it's own. It's just that it feels like I'm treating symptoms and not the cause.
Does anyone know what could be causing it? Everything seems to be on target and I can't work it out. :confused:

Do you have anything sharp in your tank that could be damaging his skin? Are you positive it's a fungus?

I'm pretty sure it's a fungus - it looks like what the others looked like. I've attached a picture of what it looks like at the minute.

I don't think there's really anything sharp in there, but then I don't play in them! There's some plastic pants that aren't too smooth, but he usually sits on them fine and surveys the land! I haven't noticed any grazes or anything, either. Do you think it'd be best to remove these?

Attachments

• fungus.jpg
    fungus.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 230
You're right, it definitely looks like fungus.

Does he have any tank mates? What kind of test kit are you using? What kind of dechlorinator are you using?

He doesn't have any tank mates; he's on his lonesome!
I use the API Fresh Water test kit, so I've tested the nitrates, nitrites, ammonia and pH and they've all be ideal. Is there any other parametres that would be worth checking? I live in a hard water area.
I use Aquasafe as dechlorinator.

Well that rules out the ideas I had...

How warm is your tank?

It's on the cooler side - it's 13°C and it's pretty stable. That's not too cool, is it? :confused:

Normally the optimum temperature for them is 16-18 degrees...well colder is obviously better than warmer but lower temperatures can lead to sluggish behaviour, slower metabolism, and decreased appetite. Axolotls do not hibernate, so it is not helpful to cool them below 10 °C, although they shouldn't suffer unduly if kept at these lower temperatures. So maybe if you raised it a few degrees it would be better for your axie?

I don't think 13c is a problem. I've had my tanks much cooler and never had issues.

I'm not sure what's causing this.

Thanks guys. I didn't think the water would be too much of a problem as I've read a lot about some people on here who've had much lower temperatures and their axies still being fine, and even laying eggs.

Fortunately, the fungus has gone now (fingers crossed) and his gill is looking much better. When he's had a fungus before it usually takes a lot of filaments, but this time it hasn't :)

I'm not sure if it could've been a possible cause, but could maybe a stomach problem have stressed him out a little? :confused: I found not one, but two massive (so big I italicised massive) plops in his tank last night before I went to bed.

It could be part of it.

Hopefully that's all that's wrong, and he'll go back to being healthy again :)

I'd recommend using Holtfreter's solution. There's some condition that's not being met if your animal is repeatedly getting fungal infections.

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm just wondering how Holtfreter's solution would improve the conditions? :)

I did briefly think about it as it's dissolved salts (I think ) and if it's diluted it could probably help regarding the fungus, but when I search I only really find it relating to water hardness and my water is hard already & the pH is 7.6.
Would a water hardness test kit come in handy? Do you think there's something wrong regarding minerals, maybe?

Also, I've been reading about driftwood/bog wood and it's ant-bacterial properties properties. Do you think it'd be worth adding a chunk to the tank?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back