Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Help!!! moomin in a bad way

vampybabe

Reaction score
Hi
Recently both moomin and twiglet had a bit of fungus both on their tails and toes where it looked like they caught themselves. So 2 weeks of salt baths and they were fully better. Last night I put them both back in their main tank with their buddy evo so all were reunited! This morning... horror!! moomin looks like hes been through the wars, a bit more of his tail missing, his front leg has skin missing from it and his 2 back legs the same but worse and his back left leg looks broken as its just floating behind him.
Theyve always got on well, occasional nipping but nothing this extreme. I taken moomin out and hes back in tuppawear away from the other 2 but what can I do to make him better, havent a clue what you do for broken legs?? Im presuming he`ll be back having salt baths again?
:(

siona

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend salt baths for anything but fungus...but I could be wrong. I would just keep the water cool and clean, and plenty of food until he recovers.

vampybabe

Reaction score
cool, thanks. hes looking very sorry for himself at the moment. So I will be pampering him as much as I can. Im just worried about his legs.

dragonlady

Reaction score
I agree with Siona, I wouldn't recommend a salt bath either - the salt will irritate the open wounds. I would suggest that if Moomin is looking too poorly to try a tea bath and/or a little fridge time to de-stress. Poor guy!

As for the legs, hopefully, they will heal on their own in time. Just keep an eye out for fungus of course.

I'd also suggest setting him up in a bachelor pad for a while since he's getting bullied.

zoezakella

Reaction score
Oh no after all your hard work aswell :( Hope your house move went ok??

Def same as Shannon fridge Moomin until he is healed and keep an eye on those wounds, hope Moomin recovers really quickly.

vampybabe

Reaction score
cheers guys. my fella said no to the salt bath too seen as theres no fungus. I have tea already prepared so might give her a little spa day in tea. shes eating well still so a good sign. the house move went well thanks zoe. Just gutted these 3 arent getting on anymore, Twiglets also been moved. no damage like moomin but evo was seeming to stalk him and theres a bit of skin missing from his tail so hes out too. going to get the new 4foot tank that was meant for all of them set up and we will put a partition wall in to seperate evo from them. going to need the old tank to put the babies in, which are doing well. :) Ill try and load a pic up of her legs.

vampybabe

Reaction score
vampybabe-albums-my-babies-picture15178-moomin.jpg

Skilly

Reaction score
Oh no! Poor sweet baby :( Those legs look like they hurt. They should heal up just fine though with some TLC and nice cool clean water.

I hope she is feeling a little better. At least she is in good hands and will be ship shape soon. :eek:

It seems my Luna is ALWAYS missing the end of his tail from various nips and bites from Kahlua. Some axies have greater hunting instincts I think... and will bite anything that moves. The divider will be a good addition. I need to separate my little Kahlua into her very own tank too... she can be soo vicious sometimes!

vampybabe

Reaction score
I know, I just wish I could give her a big hug. she keeps looking through the side of the Tupperware at me with a sad face. Its heartbreaking. But your right, she`ll be fine, it will just take a little while.
Yeah I saw ion here that someone had put a divider in their tank because of such nips. Just cant figure out, theyve all been in the same tank since I got them last July, so its weird that they arent getting on anymore. Ah... kahlua`s a cool name :)

The Banana

Reaction score
My Aristotle Axolotl has the exact same thing!
After his fungus was gone, you could see right to his bone, and the bottom bit of his leg was like broken, dead & floppy.

Now however, through clean water, the leg has healed and looks better - but the bottom bit still is a little life-less. With each day, I can see him move it a little bit more - it still dangles by his side, but he is learning to swim with it and can wriggle his toes now.

So all the best for your axie, I'm sure yours and mine shall heal in time. ♥

Skilly

Reaction score
Well, if they have been out a lot for salt baths recently then the one without the fungus might have just gotten use to being a lone axie stalking around like a little wild beast..... and when they got put back in... well.. new exciting things to bite! Instead of... oh its just you.. I can't eat you. :dizzy: haha I dunno... axies are funny creatures, you never quite know.

Thanks, I rather like the name Kahlua :D and Moomin too for that matter so cute!

MereB

Reaction score
:eek: Poor Moomin :( Hoping for a full and speedy recovery without fungus.
Poor thing and I find myself agreeing with Skilly. Evo probably got used to having the tank all to him/herself and saw the other 2 as invaders or more food :( Hoping after some time with the divider they can all get along again.

vampybabe

Reaction score
true, Hes probably got use to living on his own, hopefully like you say, with time they can get along again. Hes even stalking me and the fella when we go up to the tank.
Well Im off to the fish store to get brine shrimp for the babies so might get some live bloodworm for moomin too as a treat.

memojo1979

Reaction score
My golden girl has got a similar problem at the moment, but with bone sticking through :eek: :( The redness + flakey / peeling skin looks the same though.
Happened sometime yesterday + she's seperated into a "recovery chamber" (a plastic tub approx. 25cm squared), in the back room, with radiator turned off + window opened a little.
I did put a tube in with her (from Habitrail hamster caging!), but she looked too squashed, so I've taken it out again + made sure the sides + 1/2 the top are sheltered with some cardboard, so she feels safe.

How much of the water should I be changing each day please? :eek:

vampybabe

Reaction score
awwww hope your girl gets better. I like the hamster tube idea, wish Id of thought of that before I sold all my cage off.
Im doing 100% water changes daily, they poop a lot and like to swish it around with their tails. messy little things.
Ive got my 2 in separate Tupperware but quite bigs ones, not sure if thats right but feel bad putting them in smaller ones.

memojo1979

Reaction score
Ta Vampy - I'm acclimatising some water, so I can do a change before I go to bed - the water is looking a bit misty, so decided to do 100% change anyway. Think it might be the layer of sand I put at the bottom though. Think she's swirling it all up! I'll get rid of that when I change the water methinks.

memojo1979

Reaction score
Another question :confused:
What are people finding to be the best way to transfer an adult axie from 1 container to another?! I ended up pouring her + the old water into the axie net, then quickly (but gently) sliding her into the fresh water. The containers are big enough for her to turn around easily, with a bit of room spare, but they aren't big enough to fit the net into :dizzy:
There's gotta be a better way, surely?!?!

On the plus side, she's eaten another worm tonight (1 out of 3 yesterday + a new, more lively 1 tonight) + her gills are getting their lovely red colour back again (I guess my tank is a little bit too oxygenated + makes breathing too easy to keep the nice colour)

Cas

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right thing to do or not but it seems to stress my axie less that if I place her into a net.

I have the two containers side by side, the one with her in it, and the one which have fresh water. Then I place my hand underneath her body and my pointer finger under her head (so her front legs slide in the gap between my pointer and middle finger) then lift her up and into the next container. I dont drop her in, just slowly immerse my hand and slide my hand out from underneath her.

(Naturally I clean my hands first :D)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!