Video of my Axolotls at work.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Eric
I work at a youth museum and have a 55 gallon tank setup for 4 Axolotls. 2 Albino and 2 Wildtype. Only 3 are seen in this video, but I hope you like what you see. I also realize there may be a few comments about the fish seen swimming around the tank, but I assure you there is no conflict between the animals.

The birds making awful sounds in the back are a double yellow headed amazon parrot and a monk parakeet. I hate both of them.

YouTube - Axolotl tank at hungerford youth museum

I love your tank Eric. How do you keep your plants alive and looking so healthy??? I would love a planted tank like that.
I dont have any luck with plants. I can even kill cactus:(

I'm interested in what kind of fish youre keeping in there at axolotl temperature? I've got white cloud minnows in mine, the only thing that wants to survive in sub 18 for me.

What a lovely green jungle for the axies to explore around in :D
Nice tank set up, it is great!

Oh man, the tranquility, the mellowness of the axolotls... Then SCREEEECH. Axolotls eat parrots, right?

That's a fantastic tank Eric, I'm jealous of your job! That looks like a proper axolotl habitat, and i simply have to buy more plants now!

I love your tank Eric. How do you keep your plants alive and looking so healthy??? I would love a planted tank like that.
I dont have any luck with plants. I can even kill cactus:(

I literally do nothing. The plants in this tank are java ferns, elodea, wysteria, amazon swords, frogbit and a ton of java moss. Everything just seems to really do well without any help from me. The tank is kept at about 65 degrees at all times, the lights are on about 8 hours a day, and everything grows like crazy.

The birds making awful sounds in the back are a double yellow headed amazon parrot and a monk parakeet. I hate both of them.
Made me laugh, Good looking tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back