Eggies

memojo1979

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Mojo
Thought i'd get a record of my 1st axie eggs + share the progress.

The parents are a female wild-type + a male golden.

Attachments

• DSCF2880.jpg
    DSCF2880.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 270
  • DSCF2903.jpg
    DSCF2903.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 238
lol were going to be running duplicate threads with our eggs aren't we :D

are you changing any water in your tub with the eggs in? x

Hmmm, no - not doing water changes until they start to hatch. That was what I read on 1 of the threads here. Am waiting for ANOTHER sponge filter + airpump to arrive though, to help with gentle aeration (only just got a new set, after letting my friend use my old 1s for her axies, for the recently aquired cherry shrimp)

Within the next day or two, they'll take on their 'bean' shape. They're already looking like they're neurulating!

You should've seen me looking up the words from the Embryo Photo Log on axolotl.com. I found "gastrula", but couldn't find anything that explained "cytolysing" + have just checked "neurulation".
I think I'm imagining it, after looking at the Embryo Photo Log too many times, but a couple seem to have a tiny little bud, which reminds me of a tail tip (before the Day 5 stage though), like the embryo shown on the right of the Day 4 photo. I'm fairly sure it's just my curiosity though + expect it to be the normal response to having the eggs, LoL! ;)
Midday here is when I'm calculating from, so they'd be into Day 3 now.

Cytolysis is just a term for when cells die. Lysis usually indicates death/explosion/failure to function when it comes to cells. So it's just a fancy way of saying that egg is inviable, and won't develop.

That's a good way to put it. They'll just remain grey-ish round balls while the others will develop into tiny axolotls.

Mojo - what time were yours laid roughly its a race between us lol x

Your golden axolotl is very beatiful.

2 eggs look to be changing (though not visible on the photo), but no change to the rest so far 22/03/11 -

Attachments

• DSCF2929.jpg
    DSCF2929.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 220
Do they look like little tacos yet?

Erm... Can't say they do, no.
They don't look like Flying Saucers sweets either, like on photo 4 of the Embryo Log (guessing that's what you mean).
Looks like maybe they're duds :( As much as it wasn't planned + was too early really, that'd be a shame!
In a bit less than 12hrs, they'll be at the end of day 4.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back