Feeding mudpuppies

LeslieK

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Leslie K
So the mudpuppies are doing fine, hiding under their rocks in the tank. Every once in a while they eat a worm but I am wondering how often should I feed them? I really can't tell what a hungry mudpuppy looks like. On occasion they grab a worm and chew on it then spit it out, what is the deal?

Any ideas or suggestions??

thanks, Lesliek

What type of worms are you feeding them and how old/long are your mudpuppies? I feed my adults twice a week and my juvies 4 times a week. The adults have even gotten into the habit of "begging" everytime I walk by the tank. Also try feeding right before you turn out the lights. More often than not you won't find any worms in the tank when you check it in the morning.

On occasion they grab a worm and chew on it then spit it out, what is the deal? Lesliek

I have seen mudpuppies and sirens do this. Usually I think it is just a case of the animal being too full already, or the worm a little too big. Other times I've suspected the water chemistry may have been somewhat off - as in a new setup, or after a recent big water change, or in a tank that badly needs a water change.

This is not related to food, but make sure your tank is securely covered. Mudpuppies can be escape artists.

-Steve Morse

One of the mudpuppies is about 10" long while the second is 8". The larger one eats, its the smaller one that doesn't. We've been changing the water 2X a week and keeping the tank clean.

I bought some dried krill, i soak it and toss it into the tank but they aren't very interested. I know where to get some frozen so i guess that's the next step.

Do you just toss the worms in the tank and leave them? I've been dangling the worms in front of the mudpuppies and if they don't bite, i pull the worms out. I figured they won't be interested in a dead worm, a live wriggly one is better.

I feel responsible for their wellbeing and am trying to make them comfortable, any suggestions are welcome.

thanks, LK :confused:

Try minnows. Mudpuppies are one of the salamanders that do prey on fish in the wild.

Do you just toss the worms in the tank and leave them? I've been dangling the worms in front of the mudpuppies and if they don't bite, i pull the worms out. I figured they won't be interested in a dead worm, a live wriggly one is better.

I just toss the worms in and leave it overnight. If they haven't eaten it by the morning then I remove it.

These guys are also quite partial to crayfish.

These guys are also quite partial to crayfish.

True. I have not fed crayfish to mudpuppies, but I do have some experience with crayfish. I would advise some caution here. Crayfish come in many species and sizes, and some may be a threat to your mudpuppies in a confined space. If you try crayfish, go for as small as you can find at first, and watch them carefully. The ideal crayfish to try would be small ones that have just molted and are still soft because their exoskeletons have not hardened yet. I have collected these by snorkeling and excavating loose gravel/cobble substrate in streams, and also by dip netting while disturbing vegetation along stream margins. Orconectes propinquus is the species I am most familiar with. Crayfish can also be induced to molt by removing their eyestalks. This requires a separate setup for the crayfish, and checking them every day so the molting ones don't get eaten by the others. I've done this in a lab. Young ones molt quite frequently on their own without the eyestalk ablation.

-Steve Morse

Reactions: Jan
When I had my large mudpuppy. I had tried several times to feed him crayfish. Without a doubt it would try to eat the crayfish, but I have to say crayfish are pretty well adapted to avoid getting eaten by mudpuppies. More often than getting eaten, the crayfishes would end up becoming skittish, and skillful co-habitants with a nasty ability to destroy/rearrange my tank. I wouldn't recommend crayfish for a mudpuppy in an aquarium beyond being a novelty food item.

Thanks so much for all your advice. My mudpuppies are very grateful.

LK

Thanks for all your advice, I am so grateful.
Mudpuppies are doing well. Replaced the tank filter with and external pump and it all seems to be going well.

Such a relief, I hate being responsible for another organism when I'm not sure what to do and you guys have been a great help.

LK, otherwise know as the mudmommy

Lol mudmommy, glad we could help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back