Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Flitty Ditty Floating on Back

starcop

Reaction score
Hello - it's me again
Ref. my previous post about our sick Axolotl. Someone told me today (outside of this site) that they hibernate. I have researched everywhere and have not come across this habit.:confused:

Also thought I would mention that Flitty Ditty actually ate a whole square of blood worms this morning. I am so very pleased but would still appreciate any comments to my previous posting as I still worry about him.
Thanks Tracy:eek:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Axolotls don't hibernate.

Eating is a good sign! If he's still floating, try lowering the water level enough so he can keep himself right-side up. This might only be a few cm deep. If you do have him in a low volume of water, you have to be REALLY on top of water changes.

This will help alleviate the stress from floating, and hopefully with the increased appetite and good water conditions and a cool, quiet vacation away from noisy children, he will improve!

starcop

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info. I actually went into his room last night with only the connecting rooms light on. He was gently swimming around in his tank - it was so good to see. I will keep him here in the quiet darkened room. Think this may be his permanent retirement home from now on!!!

Thanks again Tracy

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That sounds good. Hopefully he continues on that path.

You might also try offering him a variety of foods. I don't recall if you mentioned his diet in the previous thread, but bloodworms are fairly deficient in calcium. This may have something to do with his problems.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1