Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Two forum members in June Reptiles Magazine

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Freves and I are co-authors of an article on Crocodile newts in the June issue of Reptiles Magazine.

There's a nice picture of Elektra on page 47.
Here's the web version of the article:
Crocodile Newts, Tylototriton, Breeding

And John, just for you, I put caudata.org in my bio credits at the end!
(actually, I did it for all of us!)

Be sure to run out and pick one up as soon as it's available! It's the June issue, so it won't be out for a while yet.

Last edited:

dragonlady

Reaction score
DANG!! I KNEW I should have asked for your autograph when I met you in Hamburg! ;)

looking forward to reading your article! :D

Molch

Reaction score
Pretty cool. Ms. Otter! Maybe you'll be the next Steve Irving of herpdom with a reality show on the mad wild world of Attack newts and snapping sals.

But seriously....awesome.

btw, it says you're a PhD - in what field if I may be curious?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chip is the one who got the project and brought me in on it- it'll be his show!
My PhD is in comparative literature, but I so rarely get to refer to it, it felt good to be able to.

freves

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind comments. I was hesitant to write an article on the whole genus because I only have personal experience breeding kweichows. The magazine wanted it this way however so I agreed to to do it if I could write it from a husbandry standpoint. I thought that with Dawns help however we could pull off a half way decent piece. The original version is actually somewhat longer but I knew they would edit it down. Wouter and Jen also provided valuable input as well.
Chip

lchakan

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I purchased this issue last week and read the article. Congratulations Chip and Dawn on a job well done!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Where I live, they just put the May issue out. How can you get the June issue so early? (I want to pick up an extra copy for Grumpet*).

Last edited:

lchakan

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
A local bird and reptile pet store in my area (Western PA near Pittsburgh) had several of the June issues already out. I thought it was strange that the June issue would be out in March but I didn't ask any questions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1