Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dead noto, anyone see this before?

nursemelody

Reaction score
I got three notos, and quarantined them from mt existing ones... Its a good thing that I did, because one of them died 4 days later...... The only thing I noticed that struck me as odd was a red line down the center of her belly...

Has anyone seen this before? What do you think the cause of death was?

I am worried for the other females who came with her... and now am worried that if they do survive I should quarantine them for longer than a month...

Attachments

• redlinedeadnewt.jpg
    redlinedeadnewt.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 1,313
  • redlinedeadnewt2.jpg
    redlinedeadnewt2.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,502

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry you lost her. I would cetainly quarantine them for longer than a month now that one has died. Maybe even go for 6 month quarantine if you want to be on the safe side. Make sure the others are housed as optimally as possible to reduce their stress levels as quickly as possible.

The red line may indicate 'redleg', but as the feet aren't also reddened, it may not be. It may just be blood collecting there after death... The only way to really tell would be pathology via a vet...

Hope the others are OK

C

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen my share of dead Notos, but never observed that. They do often have red color in various places after death that were not noticeable before death, so Chris's idea of blood collecting after death may be right.

troutnerd

Reaction score
How long do Noto live? I know mine seemed to die after a couple years of captivity.All my other species seem to be like elephants...living for a long time.

nursemelody

Reaction score
Well I've had my current ones for a year, and they seem fine.. and these were young, just turned green... It seems like I read they can live 12-15 years or so....

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
How long do Noto live? I know mine seemed to die after a couple years of captivity.All my other species seem to be like elephants...living for a long time.

I've had two in my care for at least 8-9 years. I don't remember the exact year I got them. But they were adults when I got them so they must but 15-16 by now.

MangoAxolotl

Reaction score
It could be fungal disease, keep the bodies away from the other bins

David Kurn

Reaction score
Could be Aeromonas hydrophila. I used to get that in my Xenopus colonies. Causes hemolysis. Ie red blood cell destruction. Regards

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!