Dead noto, anyone see this before?

nursemelody

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Melody
I got three notos, and quarantined them from mt existing ones... Its a good thing that I did, because one of them died 4 days later...... The only thing I noticed that struck me as odd was a red line down the center of her belly...

Has anyone seen this before? What do you think the cause of death was?

I am worried for the other females who came with her... and now am worried that if they do survive I should quarantine them for longer than a month...

Attachments

• redlinedeadnewt.jpg
    redlinedeadnewt.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 1,334
  • redlinedeadnewt2.jpg
    redlinedeadnewt2.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,512
Sorry you lost her. I would cetainly quarantine them for longer than a month now that one has died. Maybe even go for 6 month quarantine if you want to be on the safe side. Make sure the others are housed as optimally as possible to reduce their stress levels as quickly as possible.

The red line may indicate 'redleg', but as the feet aren't also reddened, it may not be. It may just be blood collecting there after death... The only way to really tell would be pathology via a vet...

Hope the others are OK

C

I've seen my share of dead Notos, but never observed that. They do often have red color in various places after death that were not noticeable before death, so Chris's idea of blood collecting after death may be right.

How long do Noto live? I know mine seemed to die after a couple years of captivity.All my other species seem to be like elephants...living for a long time.

Well I've had my current ones for a year, and they seem fine.. and these were young, just turned green... It seems like I read they can live 12-15 years or so....

How long do Noto live? I know mine seemed to die after a couple years of captivity.All my other species seem to be like elephants...living for a long time.

I've had two in my care for at least 8-9 years. I don't remember the exact year I got them. But they were adults when I got them so they must but 15-16 by now.

It could be fungal disease, keep the bodies away from the other bins

Could be Aeromonas hydrophila. I used to get that in my Xenopus colonies. Causes hemolysis. Ie red blood cell destruction. Regards

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back