The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 27th March 2011   #1
jeskduh

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jeskduh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spotted salamander and marbled salamander

Hello,

I've had a marbled salamander for quite some time now. He is rather large, larger than any marbled salamander I've ever seen. Even the guy at the pet store was impressed. Well anyways, the other day I bought a spotted salamander. His body is the same size as my marbled but of course the spotted has a much longer tail. The guy at the pet store told me it was ok to house the two salamanders in the same tank. Is this true? I've had them together for a few days now and I just wanted to get some other peoples advice on whether or not they can live in the same tank.
Thanks!

jeskduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011   #2
Allistor

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Allistor has given good advice and informationAllistor has given good advice and information
Default Re: Spotted salamander and marbled salamander

Different species means that's not good or even close for cohabitation. So the answer is: no!

Allistor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011   #3
jeskduh

Nationality:
Rep: jeskduh is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the reasoning for this? I've seen at pet shops marbled and dusky salamanders housed together. I also know some one that has his marbled salamander in a terrarium with different frogs. He's had this set up for years. I am just curious.

jeskduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011   #4
eljorgo
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 27
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information

Hey. Well in fact in nature they share the same spots and logs but anyways I woudnt advise you at all to do it for several reasons.
1st- your new boy might have 1001 types of different parasites or diseases that could kill your long term captive and that would really suck loads for you I am assure of.
2st- This is captive live not their habitat as so both living in a tight small space isn't the same as living in a forest.

There's the nuclear reasons you should be aware of.

Cheers,

eljorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011   #5
jaster

Nationality:
Rep: jaster has started on the right path

Another note: Pet shops are horrible. They have very bad housing practices for herps and most people have no idea about what they need. There are exceptions, but not many....

Keeping them separate would be best (above reasons).

-Bradley
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011   #6
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

I agree with El Jorgo. They occupy very similar niches in the wild, but the fact is that your spotted salamander is guaranteed to have been wild-caught, and could be harboring who knows what.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
different spieces, housing, marbled, spotted, tank