Question: Beautiful Flowing Gills?

Maythe27th

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Maythe27th
I see pictures of people's axolotls who have long, flowing, healthy-looking gills. Is there something I'm NOT doing that others are? :nono: Heres a picture of my axie for comparison:

Attachments

• Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 261
Awww... what a cutie!

I don't really think anyone has come up with a way to prompt gill growth, other than offering good healthy food and a clean, good environment and seeing what happens.

A lot of it is simply down to the genetics of the axolotl, just like us humans all look different, I guess.

I also believe that if the environment your axie is in is low in oxygen, he or she may grow longer gills to try and help absorb more oxygen from the water.

Ultimately, they are all unique, we just get to love our axies for how they are ^_^

He is definately healthy, though. I keep his tank very clean, feed him regularly, and set books to the end of the tank to avoid the harsh sunlight from getting to him.

How old is your axolotl? It looks fairly young. My axolotl Alan looked like she had a short back and sides when I first got her!

babyalan.JPG

As she got older they grew pretty big:

alanhammock1.JPGalan1.JPG

Make sure everything is in check with food and water quality and then like Mewsie said the rest is up to genetics. =]

But I think you have an adorable axolotl there and that axolotls are cute regardless of gill length!

Hoshiba1.JPG

I honestly do not know how old mine is. I ordered him at some age from a supplier. I do know that he is a young one, though.

~ And P.S., Erzs, That is a very interesting patern on your axolotl's face! It looks
pretty cool!

Alan is awesome! I love the pic of him peeking out of his hide :p

How old is your axolotl? It looks fairly young. My axolotl Alan looked like she had a short back and sides when I first got her!

View attachment 15201

As she got older they grew pretty big:

View attachment 15202View attachment 15203

Make sure everything is in check with food and water quality and then like Mewsie said the rest is up to genetics. =]

But I think you have an adorable axolotl there and that axolotls are cute regardless of gill length!

View attachment 15204
OMG Eres I so want to steal that axi... sooo cute

~ Boo Penguin's signiture,

I tried saying 'little lotyl' ten times quickly and ended up saying, "leedul, leedul, leedul".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back