Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bubble gut= trouble staying at bottom of tank

juca1658

Reaction score
Started: yesterday afternoon.
I first noticed when: My axie was hiding in a tube, and when he got out, he surfaced way too fast. Yesterday evening it seems that the right side of his abdomen (when facing me) was bigger and makes him "float" slightly to one side.
Progression: Today, if he stays still, his tail surfaces first than his body. He's wrestless trying to go to the bottom of the tank.
Background: His last feeding was March 30. Not a new diet. Crickets (thorax only) and one small earthworm. The tank temp is at 70 Farenheit.
Hypothesis: I'm guessing since he was eating the crickets from the surface, he swallowed a lot of air and now has a "bubble gut" which from one day to another went from his stomach, making the center of his body float, to the lower intestines, making his tail-end float more than the rest of his body.
Question: He's never had this problem for so long, is it harmful?

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
The diet you are feeding is inappropriate, as well as the temperature of the tank. I would say feeding from the top of the tank could cause him to ingest a good deal of air, and perhaps cause the bubble. I have also heard of chitin from the crickets causing impaction, so that could cause a problem. I would stop feeding the crickets and stick strictly to earthworms. You also need to try and lower the temperature of the tank, as it is not going to help the healing process having a warm tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!