Trying again

littlecarn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any suggestions on how to set up the optimal tank for axolotls. Just lost my guys that I had for 2 years due to a problem with filtration which resulted in their death. I don't want to have this happen again. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi there,

So sorry for your loss. :( You said that you had them for two years and then they died? What sort of filtration problem? Could you provide details about your current set up? Size of tank, substrate, filter, hides, etc. Did you keep regular check of your parameters (drop or strip tests)? Water change amount and frequency?

Sorry for all the questions, but to offer any suggestions before starting again, it would be helpful to know what you already have. Really glad that you are willing to try again. ;)

Thank you in advance for your help. My previous axies were in a 20 gal tank. I got a 20 gal turtle tank for my new tank. I am cleaning out the old tank, my axies got redfoot :( I have a outside the tank filter going. I tested the new water and it looked ok so put in some feeder fish which have died! Not sure why since the water was ideal. I am using sand as my substrate, less worry about the axies eating rocks. I used sand from the reptial section, that said it was ok for things like water turtles. Suggestions, I would love to get going again, but don't want a heartbreak.

Redfoot? Maybe you mean redleg? Why do you think this was the ailment? Trying to get a better picture still - sorry. Does the turtle tank have a slot cut into one end for the filter? Height of the filter, depending on type, can make a difference too.

Sand from the reptile section typically contains calcium and can throw off your parameters. It's not recommended for amphibians like axolotls.Slica (quartz) based sand is usually recommended. Aquatic sand and children's (not construction grade) play sand are the popular choices. You will want to sift the sand and rinse the heck out of it before adding it to your tank.

What sort of outside filter? Axolotls don't like heavy water flow, that's why I ask. If we know what type of filter you actually have, we can offer suggestions to slow/divert the flow.

Could you give me the parameters of your new tank? Is it cycled? What is the average temp? I know I continue to ask questions...sorry...

Axolotls like cool, clean, slow moving water. If you have town water, chlorine or chloramines could be present - axolotls don't like either. If you have a well, trace metals could be an issue. A good dechlorinator can help with these. If chlorine, it will eventually evaporate on its own but needs time (to be aged). They don't like temps above 70 typically.

They don't like light. Do you have hides and/or plants in your tank? What do you plan on their diet being?

No one out here wants you to suffer another loss either...;)

My tank is neutral for nitrates and nitrites. Has been w water for about a week. Ph is at 7, temp under 68 degrees. I already have the sand in the tank. Is that ok? This was the type of sand we used before w no problems. We have two hiding places and plants. I have also rigid the filter to slow the flow. I do have two air stones is that ok? I will post a picture next time of what I have going. I use safe balance and aquar. salt in my water as well as nitraban.

Okay. You did state that you didn't want heartbreak again. The sand suggestion is a recommendation of this site - final decision is ultimately up to you. As far as already having sand in the tank, sure, that's fine. Air stones stress some axolotls and aren't really needed. Some use them because they like the look, or to aid in evaporation (lowers tank temp sometimes).

Personally, I would stop using the safe balance. Axolotls can adjust to a wide range of pH and it is better for them to adjust to your normal pH, rather than you to use chemicals to adjust the pH. Aquarium salt use will get you a mixed bag of opinions. Breeders have told me that they use salt in their tanks. I refrain from it because my pH is already on the high side (7.6 - 7.8) so I don't want to raise it further. You may want to take that into consideration depending on your normal pH.

So you are using safe balance and nitraban? Isn't that Easy Balance with Nutraban? I'm not a fan of this stuff, honestly. Let your tank cycle naturally. Do the necessary water changes. Adding too many artificial chemicals can prove detrimental. You could end up with a bio-overload. Nutraban is supposed to help maintain the bacteria and encourage more to form, all that. I prefer the old fashioned way. :D

If you are on city water, then most likely, you either have chlorine or chloramines in it. Chlorine will evaporate out naturally but chloramines won't. You can get this info from your local public works or sometimes even online. If you have a well, then you might have trace elements in your water that could be harmful to axolotls (metals in particular). Some don't use dechlorinators at all. Personally, I do. I saw my water report! It was scary...so I use Aquasafe.

I don't think your cycle has started yet if you've only had water in for a week. Thanks for the params, ammonia is another you will need to track if you don't already. Without the artificial stuff, you will need an ammonia source to get your cycle going - as you probably know. Need cycling help, just ask... Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for the info. Would love information on a cycle. should I not put a axolotl in the tank? When would be best?

You can cycle with the axolotl in, it just means that you will have to be super diligent about checking the params. Here is a great article that explains the cycle process well. Take a look and if you have questions or if something is not clear, please ask. ;)

Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Thank you for all the help. I have looked at the sand I bought and it is just quartz sand with additives. So, what do you think? I have feeder fish in the tank hoping to help establish the tank. I just lost two small fish today, so I think my ammonia level is going up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back