Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bleeding axie

OpalRaven7

Reaction score
it looks like my albino axie just got bitten on her wrist, her hand is still attached but all red and she is not moving it and it is bleeding at the wrist, I know they can regenerate so I shouldnt worry? the bleeding will stop on its own? or will it make the other axie attack her again? I just feed them in case that was what they fought over, and both ate...:confused: they have never bitten each other before :(

zoezakella

Reaction score
it looks like my albino axie just got bitten on her wrist, her hand is still attached but all red and she is not moving it and it is bleeding at the wrist, I know they can regenerate so I shouldnt worry? the bleeding will stop on its own? or will it make the other axie attack her again? I just feed them in case that was what they fought over, and both ate...:confused: they have never bitten each other before :(

Ouch poor axie sorry to hear that :(

Keep an eye on the bleeding but if I was you I would fridge her for a while whist she heals :happy: Keep her in nice clean cool water which you need to change daily Axolotl Sanctuary and that will aid her healing and sounds like she needs some time out from her tank mate at the moment!

Di you see it happen as chances are was an accident. Axies dont see very well and as we all know anything that moves in front of them tends to get snapped at even if it is a friend! Mine have missing bits of tails sometimes when one has got in the way of a mouth!

Keep an eye on her in the fridge and make sure no fungus (cotton wool like growths) appear on her. If they do you will need to give her salt baths but hopefully a spell in the fridge will sort her out quickly!!

Good luck

zoezakella

Reaction score
Ouch poor thing :( you will probably find it was just a mistaken case of "your foot looked like a worm", am betting her tankmate feels just as bad!

As for the fridging do you have anywhere cool in your house?? What temp is your tank at?? Its just that clean dechlorinated water changed 100% a day will help her heal quicker. Alternatively is there anywhere in your garden that is shaded and cold?? When my axies get sick I stick them in my conservatory as it is as cold as a fridge in there lol!

siona

Reaction score
The problem with rotating ice packs is that unless you're very careful, the temperature will constantly rise and fall, which can stress your axie out (please correct me if I'm wrong, Zoe!). What they need for healing is a clean, stable environment. What temp is your tank at now?

zoezakella

Reaction score
Siona is right sorry but you could end up doing your axie more harm than good plus in a cooler box they could come into too close proximity with the ice packs as guessing it wont be a large cool box??

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
As long as you don't see any signs of fungus or infection, I would keep her in the tank. If she does start deteriorating, then you can consider alternatives. But I've seen even bad wounds heal just fine in the tank without any intervention.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1