Anyone else think Axolotl.org needs a quick update?

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Eric
Every time I see this picture:

tank_3.jpg

I cringe because although the site is chock full of great information, the gravel in that picture is really not suitable. Additionally, this is the website that comes up when "Axolotl care" is plugged into google, so this is what most people are using to find out how to properly care for their animal. Seeing that this forum has many pictures of perfect Axolotl setups, I was hoping we could have this picture swapped with one that may be more appropriate.

We all know if someone posted a picture just like this as their housing for an Axolotl, we would all get on their back about the gravel.

Hopefully John will also see this and perhaps consider a change.

I totally agree!

Yeah! I've thought that for so long :)

*Nods* I've looked at this (No, no gravel in my tanks (Bar the guppy/shrimp breeder and the goldfish tank, but I disclaim ownership of the goldfish bar stowaway...)), and the number of axies thing... Whilst we're on the subject, would a tank that big (well, actually slightly larger- higher, and an extra 5cm back) be okay for six axies (John says 8)?

As the temps have begun to drop, and the heater's begun to come on out where my original three are in their summer tank (45cm breeder, yes, I know it's small, but they're pretty small themselves- 13, 12 and 14cm long with no lost limbs compared to when my others arrived...for some reason all regrowing the back RH foot..., also, they've had the heat sink running 24-7 out there so the temp's been much more stable previously than the big tank was able to hold, and those three are WUSSES when it comes to heat changes as we've found out when the pump chooses to ice over, and they don't hesitate to let us know...) I've begun to worry that the heat sink's not going to be able to cool my poor darlings off...
Any thoughts? And yes, I do have the intention of sneaking in another large tank at some point...Only problem will be getting it past mum!

P.S: I also disclaim that it is my intention to buy a chiller within the next 12 months, and most certainly before summer's here!

I've never been a fan of that picture. I can only hope that the divider was put in place for the picture and that the 2 axies I can see in there have access to the 2nd hide if not one pipe between the 2 of them seems a bit rough :(

Your right if someone posted that tank here I'd say change out the gravel for sand, fill it up to about 7/8ths full or get a lid for it and fill it leaving about 1cm, plant the plants and get more hides, one for each axie plus one :(

Time for an update for sure.

This is not the first time this has been suggested, and I agree. But can anyone provide a good photo to replace it? It would need to be a clear, decent-quality shot of a "basic" setup that shows most of the numbered items. If anyone can provide an alternate photo, I'll do what I can to convince John to change it.

I agree too, i used that site to research before i got my axies and I thought that the gravel I had was going to be ok when I saw the gravel in the picture. After I got my axie I found out it wasn't and switched to sand as son as I could but I wouldn't want anyone to lose their axies over it

Would one of these do the job? They are of one of my baby tanks. Not plastic plants obviously and an internal rather than canister filter but if where honest how many of us really STARTED this axie love affair with a canister ;) OH and a home made divider for good measure since the other pic has one although not sure why since both visible axies are on the same side of it :p

Maybe someone has some better pictures but this is the most basic setup I have.
1. Pick one
2. Pic one with numbers up to nine to include the rooted plants.
3. Pic two
4. Pic 2 with numbers.

I have the originals still since the program shrinks them when attached but I didn't think you would all really appreciate those 4 ENORMOUS images popping up on your screens :rofl:

Attachments

• DSCF8345.jpg
    DSCF8345.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 998
  • setup2.jpg
    setup2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 4,945
  • DSCF8347.jpg
    DSCF8347.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 412
  • setup1.jpg
    setup1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 520
Would one of these do the job? :rofl:

It's only a year later and... voila!
Axolotls - Housing in Captivity

I liked Mere's photo, but also wanted a simpler setup as a bare-bones example. I ended up having to set up a tank just for this purpose and then take photos. After an hour of "modeling", the axolotl got to go back to her usual home. John kindly inserted the photos and some new text on the page.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back