Illness/Sickness: Axolotl developing mucus like substance

andyng00

Reaction score
Country
China
Display Name
Andy
my axolotl is starting to develop some kind of mucus like substance all over its body :confused: . . . and its even started shedding the substance (the substance's color is white):eek: this might be some kind of sickness or some kind of disease, and if it is i want to cure it as soon as possible . . . which is why i want to ask the opinion of those who are already experienced in caring for an axolotl in captivity . . . because im just new to this :D an answer and opinion is greatly appreciated TNX:happy:

Hi,

welcome to the forum. :D

What are your water parameters (ammoniy, nitrite, nitrate, PH) and the temp?
Can you provide a photo, please. It may be helpful.
What´s his behavior and is he eating well?
Is the white stuff slimy or does it look like cotton wool? Axies have a slimy coat, that should prevent their skin for bacterial infections, but you cannot see it normally.

I cannot really help you, but I would put the axie in the fridge as first aid.

Tina

Does your axolotl bear any similarity in appearance to the axolotl in the second photograph down on this page?

Photos of Sick Axolotls

The axolotl's keeper was able to get the white patches to clear up with a tea bath (1 teabag/ 10L water).

Columnaris infections are also characterized by white patches on the skin. Columnaris causes a bacterial infection that often leads to death if not treated in its early stages. The illness can be treated with the usually prescribed twice-daily salt baths.

I've had luck with salt baths when treating skin infections in my axolotls. It wouldn't hurt to try. Make sure to use half the recommended fish dose of salt, and don't leave the axolotl in for more than 10 minutes. Time in a salt bath should be further decreased for a young animal that isn't fully grown. The water should be the same temperature as the water the axolotl is being kept in to prevent added stress. Refrigeration, as Tina suggested, is never a bad idea. It works wonders on poorly axolotls, in my personal experience.

Hi,

welcome to the forum. :D

What are your water parameters (ammoniy, nitrite, nitrate, PH) and the temp?
Can you provide a photo, please. It may be helpful.
What´s his behavior and is he eating well?
Is the white stuff slimy or does it look like cotton wool? Axies have a slimy coat, that should prevent their skin for bacterial infections, but you cannot see it normally.

I cannot really help you, but I would put the axie in the fridge as first aid.

Tina

i just changed the water 2 days ago so the ammonia in the water should be low about 1.0 the PH of the water is 7.6 above its quite high but all water here in the philippines has a very high PH , the temperature of the water is 29c i know its pretty high but considering this is philippines and especially since its summer . . . but he isnt exhibiting any symptoms of heat stress . . . im still looking for a way to make the water cooler but any advice ??? . . . and as for his behavior he' really active lately but isnt really eating that much can you diagnose the problem ??? and i cant really give you a photo right now because the camera we have has very bad quality and i have to borrow from my aunt

I suspect with the very high water temperature and the ammonia, that this is what may be causing the symptoms. A temperature of 29 degrees is far too high, and your axolotl will suffer in time..if not already. Is there anywhere cooler you can place the tank ?

I suspect with the very high water temperature and the ammonia, that this is what may be causing the symptoms. A temperature of 29 degrees is far too high, and your axolotl will suffer in time..if not already. Is there anywhere cooler you can place the tank ?

actually there is but the temperature changes from time to time, my room is air conditioned but only when im there and when the air condition is turned off the room becomes very hot especially mid-day and i heard that sudden change in temperature can cause stress to axolotls sooo is there any other alternatives for this ???

NOTE: (i just changed the water yesterday so the ammonia should be about 0.25)

NOTE: (i just changed the water yesterday so the ammonia should be about 0.25)

you should do another water change, because ammonia = 0,25 is still to high.Ammonia is highly toxic.
The only way I see atm is to put your axie in the fridge. It is suffering and needs time to recover in a cool an clean environment.

While he´s in the fridge, you can cycle your tank (I think it isn´t, other wise there wouldn´t be so much ammonia) and think about cooling methods. In your case I would suggest to buy a chiller.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

Hi! Need help with my axolotl. No idea with what to do. Been searching for answers but still cant find one that would help me step by step. Hope you guys can help. Will post pictures of my axie. Juat got him from the perahop a day ago. Refused to eat. Tried feeding him with african nightcrawlers and dried shrimp. But wont touch it. Hand fed the axie still refuses to eat. And he has a lot of white stuff on his body. Help!

Attachments

• IMG_1255.jpg
    IMG_1255.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,160
  • IMG_1256.jpg
    IMG_1256.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 674
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back