Another disaster

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m not sure what’s going on but today I found two of my axolotl larvae with red stuff that looked like brine shrimp vomit all over. Both of these axolotls seemed listless. I fed them some and they now seem better. Later on during the day after feeding the rest of my larvae an hour later I noticed they where all scrambling to the top to let out air bubbles and there containers where full of vomit too. Now these are all listless and not eating. All my larvae seem to be floating now. After my last death epidemic everything was fine and now this…

What’s going on?

I filter and age my water before using it.

I feed them brine shrimp and some of the bigger ones pellets.

This is blowing my mind :eek:

How warm are you keeping them? How many to a container? How big are they? How big are their containers?

i'm keeping one to a container. the containers are a fair size for one. i'm keeping the apartment in the 70's now. as far as size they are all sizes i have some eating pellets and some eating brine shrimp.

they all seem "okay" but they are all weak and their containers are full of vomit. they are also all very skinny now. this is all within a few hours change.

do you have any ideas? :(

just took a further look at some of my axies and it looks like they are covered in a thin film of fuzz? maybe fungus????

should i salt bath them?

Any way you could provide a picture? And I think this is going to be due to temperature. By 70's do you mean 71/72 or 76/77? Either way that is above the Axolotl's tolerable range, and is most likely the reason for your poorly animals.

the thermostat is on 75.

i have a feeling that the water i've been aging has mold in it.

would it be okay to get bottled water from the store and use that to do water changes?

just until i can get a new water filter. which i think may have mold in it

I think 75 is too high, if you are using a heater I would advise you to reduce the temperature to maybe 65.

Hi,

maybe it´s a silly question, but are you sure, that it´s vomit? BBS will starve after a few hours and must be suck out or the water becomes messy. Could it be, that it´s only dead BBS?
How often do you clean the boxes and do water changes?

I raise my larvae in tap water by doing complete water changes 2 times each day and I never had any problems. Maybe you can try dechlorinated tap water (it´s cool enough) instead of water from the parents tank.

Tina

the thermostat is on 75.

i have a feeling that the water i've been aging has mold in it.

would it be okay to get bottled water from the store and use that to do water changes?

just until i can get a new water filter. which i think may have mold in it

That is definitely too warm, and yes you can use spring water purchased from the store to do water changes.

Are you using a brita type filter on your water or something?

That is definitely too warm, and yes you can use spring water purchased from the store to do water changes.

Are you using a brita type filter on your water or something?

thats pretty much the temperture around the apartment all year around it is in the 80's outside now . i'm using a zero water filter which is supposedly better than brita.

Hi,

maybe it´s a silly question, but are you sure, that it´s vomit? BBS will starve after a few hours and must be suck out or the water becomes messy. Could it be, that it´s only dead BBS?
How often do you clean the boxes and do water changes?

I raise my larvae in tap water by doing complete water changes 2 times each day and I never had any problems. Maybe you can try dechlorinated tap water (it´s cool enough) instead of water from the parents tank.

Tina

i'm sure its vomit because i did a complete water change on their container just before they started to get sick. also later on i witnessed one of the larvae spewing the red stuff out.

I think 75 is too high, if you are using a heater I would advise you to reduce the temperature to maybe 65.

i'm using the air conditioning to get it at that temperature :eek:

thought i'd do a little update on the situation. i would of done it sooner but i've been busy studying for finals :cry:

so it turned out that the filter i was using for my drinking water as well as my axolotl water was growing mold. :eek:

not having any water on hand i rushed to the store and bought a few gallons of water to use for the necessary immediate water changes. As soon as i changed their containers water there was a difference. They began acting normal again and accepted food. I had zero casualties! Even my axolotl with one eye is still good!

i'm currently debating if this mold could of also caused the sudden deaths that occurred earlier with my larvae.

i'm just glad that all my axies survived and are doing okay and that i'm not drinking from a moldie filter anymore!!

:happy:

I'm glad you figured out the problem! Hopefully that solves all the issues you've been having. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the source of your earlier deaths.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back