Holes underneath gills & missing leg

Star

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Star
I've just got back from a 2 week holiday and had left my sister in charge of my axies. I posted before going away about my wild type trying to eat little Hoshi's leg so he went on holiday to my mum's. Because of this I asked my sister to feed and clean them every day so that there were no more mishaps, seems I should have just invested in tank dividers and left them to their own devices!

Firstly, Jake has had his back leg taken off completely. There is a wiggling bone stump there :( What is the best way to deal with this, keep him fridged until it regrows? Not dealt with a missing limb before... Scylla has also had a bl**dy good go at his other hind leg (his front 3 legs are all intact though at least)

Secondly, the water was a state, mad fluffy white/green things on the glass and floor, can only assume it's an algal bloom? Nitrite was at 0, ammonia between 0 and 0.25, didn't check nitrate as I'm pretty shattered after a 6 hour drive home :( Bits of manky food on the bottom and, for some reason, a cable tie!

Thirdly, I decided to feed them a lot as Scylla was stalking poor Jake when I checked them. As she was eating bloodworm I noticed it started to come out underneath her gills.... There's no way I can get a decent picture I'm afraid. I panicked and pulled her out of the water (I know, I really shouldn't have but the state the net was in..... Only choice I had) and there are two holes either side of the back of her mouth underneath her gills. I'm not sure if it was the bloodworm or if they are currently red, gungey lumps but they definitely aren't supposed to be there!

Needless to say I'll make other arrangements in future, I didn't think she would have any issues but seems I was wrong.... But I'm worried about my poor babies! I guess Jake will be OK once he has his leg back but how long will that take and what should I do with him until it has? And Scylla, what on earth?! I can only guess she tried to eat the cable tie that appeared from somewhere and it cut her? Can anyone offer me any help at all? I put them both in separate containers and straight into the fridge. I don't know how long they have been like that but I don't want things to get worse :( I was looking forward to getting home to see them because as sad as it is, I missed my smiling freaks and now I just feel rotten! :(

Sorry for the essay

Are you able to get a photo of the holes ? I do however suspect that these are where the gills are....its pretty freaky when you witness your axolotl's dinner escaping the through them .

Can only just see them by eye as she's a very, very dark brown. She still has all her gills though. What's the best way to help her?

It may not actually be a wound at all, just part of the natural gills.

She's never had it before though, is it normal to develop holes after a while? The bloodworm was definitely coming out from underneath her gills. I'll see if I can manage to get a photo of her eating later on

I've definitely heard of this issue before...it's not something you normally see, but I don't think it's anything to be worried about....let me see if I can find a link to another similar post.

The holes are called gill-slits. They're completely normal. Food does come out of them occasionally, and it's pretty startling the first time you see it. I remember once seeing an entire earthworm coming out of a gill-slit.

Thanks for that Kaysie :) Means I can take the fatty out of the fridge then :D

The holes are called gill-slits. They're completely normal. Food does come out of them occasionally, and it's pretty startling the first time you see it. I remember once seeing an entire earthworm coming out of a gill-slit.

oooooo yuck lol!!!!

Star - you poor thing, hope your guys are ok, bad sister :( xx

What's worse is that the axolotl then grabbed the end of the worm that was coming through the gill slit. It was like a big earthworm piercing.

What's worse is that the axolotl then grabbed the end of the worm that was coming through the gill slit. It was like a big earthworm piercing.

u eating your Lasagne yet Kaysie lol glad I have already had mine urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :sick: caudates gotta luv them x

Lol Zoe. It just came out of the oven. There are no earthworms in it. Although had I used that worm I found earlier, I wouldn't have needed any additional meat!

Lol Zoe. It just came out of the oven. There are no earthworms in it. Although had I used that worm I found earlier, I wouldn't have needed any additional meat!

Yeh yeh bet if you dig hard enough one will pop out :wink: So glad I am vege :rofl:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back