Natural Spring with Dusky Salamanders

Sean Brady

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sean Brady
Earlier today, I went into my woods down in the valley behind my house looking for moss and moss-covered rocks for my outdoor enclosure. I walked to this spring that I always find D. fuscus in because I am trying to model the spring in my enclosure after it.

This is the view of my woods from the top of the hill in my backyard (I didn't realize that the shutter was closed because I was using the viewfinder)
sean-brady-albums-my-woods-creek-picture15800-img-1540.jpg

Looking downstream at the creek (At least the shutter opened a little bit more)
sean-brady-albums-my-woods-creek-picture15795-img-1546.jpg

Looking upstream at the creek
sean-brady-albums-my-woods-creek-picture15798-img-1551.jpg

That body of water you can see on the other side of the creek is a vernal pond. It is filled with frog and salamander eggs right now
sean-brady-albums-my-woods-creek-picture15797-img-1550.jpg

A few D. fuscus found under a mossy rock in the spring
sean-brady-albums-my-woods-creek-picture15799-img-1558.jpg

Lovely place :)
Thanx for sharing.
I wish i had THAT just behind my house....all i have is a dorm full of drunken students.

Nice, I love it! Thanks for sharing with us :) Only those 3 you find or more?

all i have is a dorm full of drunken students.

better that than no house and sleep under a bridge right?

cheers,

Depends on the bridge....

Thanks guys!

Only those 3 you find or more?

Well I only found three on that trip, but I've found others there before. I also find Ambystoma maculatum, Eurycea bislineata, and Plethodon c. cinereus

Well I only found three on that trip, but I've found others there before. I also find Ambystoma maculatum, Eurycea bislineata, and Plethodon c. cinereus

Were did you found the P. cinereus, I mean in witch proximity to the stream?

@ Rodrigo, how about this one here in Portugal? Still liking bridges xD

Nice finds Sean. You should keep a look-out for other caudates too. There are probably Spring Sals and Eurycea bislineata in your area.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back