Should I worry?

kirsty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At some point today Spongebob appears to have bitten off half of one of Squidwards gills, both my axies have long feathery beautiful gills and I am worried having lost part of one of her gills might prevent her getting enough oxygen etc.
It might be a silly worry as I know it will grow back but I can't move her to the fridge or anything in my house. Spongebob had his leg snapped at a bitten off when they were smaller and it grew back fine just being left in the tank but I know that the gills are very important to an Axie :( my poor Sqidy :(

At some point today Spongebob appears to have bitten off half of one of Squidwards gills, both my axies have long feathery beautiful gills and I am worried having lost part of one of her gills might prevent her getting enough oxygen etc.
It might be a silly worry as I know it will grow back but I can't move her to the fridge or anything in my house. Spongebob had his leg snapped at a bitten off when they were smaller and it grew back fine just being left in the tank but I know that the gills are very important to an Axie :( my poor Sqidy :(

don't worry, I have an axie that is missing half of her left gills and she lives all the same :)

they never grew back though... but she doesn't really care

watch for infection and any more atacks towards squidward (cool names spongebob and squidward:wacko:)
hope your axies gills grow back,
Sam:happy:

Don't worry about a lack of oxygen, they have 4 different ways of breathing :D

Thanks everyone :) I just worry about my babies :) don't know what I'd do if anything happened to them. They have been fine since, even during feeding when they share their food bowl they only went for the food but I will def be keeping a close eye on her for infection :) Thanks Sam :)
I hope Squidwards gill grow back they look so beautiful but I'm glad they can happily live without :)

Just noticed that since feeding time (approx 6pm which was only 4 hours ago) another of Squidwards gills are missing this time on the other side of her head. Has Spongebob simply decided that Squid is tasty or is there maybe something wrong with her.

I know its silly but I can't test the water as I don't have a kit and can't afford one until the end of this month, do you think it will be a good idea to separate the two for a few weeks, even though the only tank I can move one of them to is only about 12 1/2 inches long? Not sure what is best for her but if I move her to a smaller tank I can move her to a lower darker area of the room but don't want to cause more harm than good. I will be moving her first thing in the morning as thats when her scheduled tank clean is and I don't want to stress either of the Axies out more than I have to. Any ideas/ advice would be much appreciated.

I'm not sure if its maybe stress from laying eggs (see post in the breeding section) in which case separation and some time where the water will be cooler and darker will do her good, no?

Here are some pics, 2 of the newly lost gill - can see some red bits on top - think this looks like blood and they sit on top of where the vein type things run through the gills, and the other pic is of the gill that was originally lost which has started growing back (sorry this ones a little blurry).

Attachments

• IMG_0943.jpg
    IMG_0943.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0944.jpg
    IMG_0944.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0946.jpg
    IMG_0946.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 147
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back