New shanjing with my ltc

troutnerd

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
GE
It's been an interesting two weeks in my house. I received three laotriton (!)this past week,and two weeks ago welcomed two ltc shanjing from a member who had to move and needed a home for them. This was very exciting, as I've wanted to add couple more shanjing to hang out with my two (m/f) lic. I've had them since 2006. I've literally never seen or have been able to source any shanjing since then. Both these new shanjing are males and well cared for. My big female seems quite interested in them. Both new animals seem far more aquatic then mine. Anyway,I've caught the big girl in the water a couple times recently, and both times one of the new males was there. This has never happened with the old male. No fanning or anything yet, but maybe she will get to release some of those eggs. She' s huge.

Attachments

• Early Spring Steelhead April 2011 001.JPG
    Early Spring Steelhead April 2011 001.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 601
  • Early Spring Steelhead April 2011 004.JPG
    Early Spring Steelhead April 2011 004.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 516
  • Early Spring Steelhead April 2011 006.JPG
    Early Spring Steelhead April 2011 006.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:
those are beautiful newts, I would love to get a pair, heck even one.

Those terrariums look amazing. Good job!

Frogman: Thanks for the kind words.My shanjing tank has always been one of my favourites. As an update, all the shanjing are super active these days,and the two older ones rarely lay around like they used to.The two young ones have really changed the dynamic in the tank. Fascinating.

I am hoping to get some crocodile newts like yours soon. i was wondering were you got yours.

The original two were bought at a big box pet store 6 years ago. A most unsual place to find them. The most recent two came from another Canadian hobbyist who had to move and new I had experience caring for shanjing. The group is thriving.

cool. Any recommended web sites

cool. Any recommended web sites
Keep in mind that you need an export and an import permit to get something from Canada.

I added a 5th shanjing today.From a Canadian hobbyist who wanted to find a new home for an ltc shanjing and two healthy cf.kweichow.Shipped the same day by air cargo air canada. The animals seemed completely unfazed. Like it was nothing. I put the shanjing in with my four and within an hour ...courtship! The new one is a she and randy! I've never seen shanjing dance and it is pretty exciting.I'm not getting my hopes up but it's something to see. What a different tank it is with a colony. It's like a shanjing frat house now.

If anything good happens I'll let you all know.

So...I was poking around and cleaning in the shanjing tank today..and eggs! I see at least a dozen, and they are fertile. I'm sure there are more if I start pulling stuff out. Super exciting.My problem and quandry is they are mostly stuck to a huge piece of wood in the pond size of the tank that I really don't want to take out...and it won't fit in my nursery tank anyway.I'm a little nervous about scraping them off.Should I just let them hatch and then try to net or suck up the fry when they are of a decent size? Oh my.

Any help from you experienced shanjing raisers would be awesome .

Gord

There are a lot more than a dozen..some are on the glued rock edge of the pond that goes to the land side..they seem to be getting wet enough thanks to the newts hauling in and out but are mostly all out of the water. I assume this is normal.I'll be keeping them moist..but should I raise the water or just leave as is?

Suddenly feel like a noobie again.

Congrats, you lucky duck!

Congrats :)
I´d personally let them hatch and separate the larvae as they appear. You may miss some, but with any luck they´ll thrive in the tank long enough for you to find them and move them out.
It´s always good to see this species breeding in captivity, we can never have enough!

Keep in mind that you need an export and an import permit to get something from Canada.
Neither is true. Canada does not require an export permit, and the USA doesn't require a permit unless they deem it to be a commercial shipment. On the US side, a 3-177 declaration is required, along with an inspection which is normally no charge for small personal shipments. Exact requirements vary with size, content, and means of shipment - personal transport by ground is the most hassle-free method.

I think I'm just just going to leave them.I've spotted a few in loose gravel that may be scoopable but most are well attached.I'll try and get some pics..they look pretty advanced.The new female was put in over two weeks ago so I bet they were laid shortly after her arrival.

How long is the normal gestation?

Looks like I'm going to have to get busy in the old threads :)

GE

Congrats, Gord!

Neither is true. Canada does not require an export permit, and the USA doesn't require a permit unless they deem it to be a commercial shipment. On the US side, a 3-177 declaration is required, along with an inspection which is normally no charge for small personal shipments. Exact requirements vary with size, content, and means of shipment - personal transport by ground is the most hassle-free method.

True, but note that the US considers an import of >5 animals per species to be "commercial" by definition. At least that's what I was told a couple of years ago.

That's likely impacted greatly by the number of species being imported as well, since a "commercial" shipment is likely to contain many more animals, regardless of the number of species, in order to make it profitable. Essentially, it's a judgement call on their part, and it can be worked out in advance by doing as they request and call the regional USFWS office 3-4 days in advance with a list of the species and numbers and purpose of the export/import. I would expect an EXport to be more likely to be treated as commercial, than an import, since a sale is rather more commercial than a purchase [in that it's absolutely done for monetary reward].

In any case, maybe there will be plenty of CB salamanders to export TO the USA in the not-so-distant future ;)

I pulled about a dozen loose eggs out yesterday and put them in a nursery tank.They seem good. Hard to tell how far along though. There are eggs all over the tank,and some are a bit dried out.I sure wish I'd seen them sooner. However,the female is still in the water and is nosing around the wood etc...so I assume that means there may be a few more eggs to come. I've put some weeds in etc. in hopes she'll lay on some more portable stuff. Fingers crossed for that..and some healthy hatchlings.

Congratulations Gord! :)

I've found mine have taken between 10-20 days to hatch, keeping them reasonably warm.

All the best!
Mark

Mark: If that's the case..I expect some of them will hatch within 10 days...I can see the larvae taking shape in some of the eggs. I'm hoping the abundance of little critters swimmig around in the nursery tank will do as a starter food. But what did you feed them? I'm not excited about starting up a brine shrimp factory again..but is that the best option?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back