Little beggar!!

happycamper

Reaction score
Country
United States
C'mon mom... I know it's gotta be close to dinner time!

HotSprings009.jpg

:p:p

Re: Little begger!!

They do have an extraordinary knack of getting you to feed them. Plenty of times I haven't been planing on feeding them but just go in to have a look and as soon as they do the old swimming up to the glass and looking sad routine I feel bad and end up feeding them. The little beggars exactly !!!

Regards Neil

:lol: That's a trick that lotls learn early. I think they have us trained!

:lol: The caption goes so well with the picture. Love it!

Awwww haha I love the little beggars... so cute. I love that one's back legs! hehe =]

Last summer when I was just beginning to raise axies I had 16 small juveniles in separate containers. I had to go away for two weeks and left the task of feeding to my willing but anxious wife. I had managed to convert the young critters to eating Instant Ocean Brine Shrimp (Gel). I demonstrated that when you drop the bit of shrimp near the axies mouth it would snatch it up. I was confident that my wife would do a good job and left town. I was amazed at what I saw when I returned! Beggars, indeed. These axies were only about 2 months old (max) and when I went downstairs to see their progress they were huge in comparison to when I had left them. Not only that, but every last one of them was looking at me and saying, "Hey who are you? And, where's my food!!!"

I asked my wife how she had managed that and she replied, "I just did what you showed me. I put the shrimp gel on the end of the eye dropper and feed it to the axolotl." She had essentially trained them to come and take the food off the eye dropper. She wasted no food, whatsoever, doing it this way and they ate tons.

Like I said, this was my first experience with axies - large or small. And, though I'd read comments on this board about their personalities, etc. I hadn't experienced that first hand until this time. I am currently raising their offspring and the older ones are already beginning to get the hang of how to manipulate their keeper.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back