Floating Young Axolotls

mjoyal4

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Matt
I currently have two axolotls that I acquired on Tuesday(had three, one did not make it). I fed them on Tuesday and Wednesday and they seemed fine. It was not until today have they changed a bit. Now they are floating at the top of the Tupperware container they are in. They are each only a little larger than an inch in length.
Also, they have stopped eating any food. I fed them frozen bloodworm, the same thing they had back from the labs where I got them. Also, they pooped a lot yesterday and now there's nothing.
I tested the water and it seems fine. Temperature has been about 68-70 degrees

I've put them in a container and covered it so there is no light and enough water where they are fully covered but close to the bottom.

I've already lost one and I want to do everything I can to prevent the loss of another. Anyone have any advice of what I can do?

PS I've read about fridging them as a good way to destress them. I have a feeling they are just really stressed out from the move.. Would this help? They're young and I don't want to harm them.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Are you doing daily water changes??? Are you using dechorlinated water??
Fridging does help the axies destress but I think you need to find out what it causing them to stress so you can fix that.

Yeah. I have a container of aging water. I've dechlorinated the water too.

Sometimes axies float for the love of it especially babies. If your water is ok then I wouldnt worry to much. Just keep and eye on them. They might have been upset about moving house.

i had an axi who loved to float and 'ride the curent'. i found that feeding them live or recently killed food like earth worms or meal worms sparks thier intrest in the food (if you choose meal worms, you will have to use a skewer and stab them or pop of thier heads {YUCK!})

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back