Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Matti with the Gimpy hand

Kaytiandpixie

Reaction score
So my new little one Matti who ive had for exactly a week now is missing his left hand. i thought when i first got him that maybe it was a little bit of juvenile cannibalism. so i assumed with a little fridging and some food he would just regenerate it. but now that i look at it more, i dont think its missing, i don't think i was ever there. he doesnt have any swimming problems and hes growing and progressing the same as pixie did, in fact hes grown an inch since i got him. i guess im just wondering if you guys have ever head of this or if you guys see it as an issue?
im trying to get a good picture but hes pretty small so it can be hard.

Please ignore the poop i cleaned right after i took the pictures

Attachments

• DSCN1036.jpg
    DSCN1036.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 473
  • DSCN1046.jpg
    DSCN1046.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 270

Loobylou

Reaction score
So my new little one Matti who ive had for exactly a week now is missing his left hand. i thought when i first got him that maybe it was a little bit of juvenile cannibalism. so i assumed with a little fridging and some food he would just regenerate it. but now that i look at it more, i dont think its missing, i don't think i was ever there. he doesnt have any swimming problems and hes growing and progressing the same as pixie did, in fact hes grown an inch since i got him. i guess im just wondering if you guys have ever head of this or if you guys see it as an issue?
im trying to get a good picture but hes pretty small so it can be hard.

Please ignore the poop i cleaned right after i took the pictures

I wouldn't say it was an issue, if it doesn't bother him don't worry about it. After all if he never had a hand in the first place, what's to miss?!

memojo1979

Reaction score
2 out of the 3 axies I'm fostering for my friend had hands / feet missing when I got them. I've had them for probably about 1+1/2 months now + the wildtype regenerated very quickly, whereas the golden took AGES to even start regeneration (probably at least 1 month), so just see how it goes! The golden's back leg looked very much like Matti's leg, but only time will tell.
But yeah, if that's what he's used to, he won't know the difference anyway ;)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I agree. Sometimes things don't develop appropriately (with all animals), and I don't think it's a handicap as they learn from the start how to do without.

Kaytiandpixie

Reaction score
Thanks guys! i figured it wasn't going to hinder him and ill just keep a close eye on his swimming and he appears to be having trouble i will lower the water level and give him some more things to climb on so that he doesn't strain himself getting to the surface. he rarely goes to the surface as it is so im not concerned really.

Kaytiandpixie

Reaction score
it does hinder his walking and climbing a little but he seems to be managing. and growing like a weed!

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
My little one (well actually not so little) has always had a bit of a gimpy leg ever since I got her. It doesn't seem to bother her much, I assume yours will be much the same. I wouldn't worry

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Thats awesome!!! Axi's continue to amaze me :D glad Matti is doing well

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1