Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tip of gill turned white

larn

Reaction score
Why have the gills tuned white?. is this a fungus infection? if so should i give the little guy a salt bath? :uhoh:

We noticed the white gill tip yesterday, so maybe if i do something now it won't spread or infect the other axolotls. thanks for the help

http://postimage.org/image/p077n350/

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It doesn't look like fungus. It looks like there might have been some damage and the tip is dead. I would put that axolotl in the fridge, with no salt baths, and monitor it.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
With proper water changes, you can fridge your axolotl for weeks. Read the tutorial here.

larn

Reaction score
thanks for the link

I think you're right it does look like it's damaged, maybe one of the other 2 tried to bite it and caused a problem and now maybe the blood is not flowing to the tip.

Do you think the gill tip will repair without removing it? and if not, if i took him to the vet, do you think the vet would remove it?

One last question, what does lowering the water temperature actually do to him, and how does it help?

Last edited:

smily sam

Reaction score
thanks for the link

I think you're right it does look like it's damaged, maybe one of the other 2 tried to bite it and caused a problem and now maybe the blood is not flowing to the tip.

Do you think the gill tip will repair without removing it? and if not, if i took him to the vet, do you think the vet would remove it?

One last question, what does lowering the water temperature actually do to him, and how does it help?
Lowering the water tempurture makes your axies metabolisum slow down, it makes them slower and more slugish, it helps them by relaxing them. Leave him in the fridge for a few weeks without disturbing him to much and if it dosn't heel in about 4-5 weeks you may want to consider taking him to the vet.
Hope your axie gets better.
Sam:happy:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It should heal on its own. Gills are pretty good at repairing themselves.

larn

Reaction score
After i put him in the fridge the gill tip fell off, so it looks like it will repair just as you said it would

He seems to be resting nicely in the box, but when i went to feed him for the first time he woke up and starting squirming and moving around quickly, then would not eat anything. So i left the food inside for him to have later .

I will keep monitoring him to make sure he is eating, how long will it take for the gill to grow back? and how long should i keep him in the fridge? thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1