Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Shrimp for Axolotls

jmtonkin

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting an axolotl and I was wondering if the would be able to eat dried or frozen shrimp or does it have to be alive?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Dried shrimp have no nutritional value. You can feed frozen as a supplement to their diet, but I wouldn't use it as a staple.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not clear what kind of "shrimp" you are referring to. There are brine shrimp, freshwater shrimp, the kind of shrimp you get in the grocery store, and probably some other kinds I'm not thinking of. There are several ways that you could supplement an axolotl's diet with shrimp, but I wouldn't plan on this as the primary food.

jmtonkin

Reaction score
I'm talking about brine shrimp. Does anyone have a link to a site that has required nutritional information? I want to pamper this guy when I get him!

micstarz

Reaction score
Live brine shrimp is sort of impractical to feed axolotls, as they are small in size for even the smaller axies...and spot feeding would be very slow and tedious...you could, however, feed f/t brine shrimp cubes but this is also very messy. Why not go with larger live feeders?

smily sam

Reaction score
What do you meen by larger live feeders Michael? Do you meen adult brine shrimp? what do you meen by would be able to eat dried or frozen shrimp or does it have to be live, Jmtonkin? Do you meen could frozen or freez dried brine shrimp be an alterintive for live for a axolotl larva, if a larva could eat live babybrine shrimp, but im not shure about frozen because most axies if not all when they hatch only eat live food which move sinse they don't count on smell to find there food like adults and use site to find it. If your talking about an adult axolotl the best thing to feed it is live earth worms. Hope I've helped.
Sam:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1